PoE supply voltage for Hikvision 2CD2142

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I am about to install a setup with 3 Hik 2142 connected to a switch which in turn is connected via Ubiquiti air bridge to the NVR.
I know cabling it would be better but let's leave that for now.

I bought a Ubiquiti Toughswitch which is powering the AirMax over PoE and I want to power the cameras through this switch as well.
The problem is I just saw that the switch is 24V passive PoE and the cameras are specified as "12 VDC ± 25%, PoE (802.3af Class3)"

Does this mean that I can or cannot power the cameras with that switch? There's a comma between 12v and PoE.

Cheers

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I am about to install a setup with 3 Hik 2142 connected to a switch which in turn is connected via Ubiquiti air bridge to the NVR.
I know cabling it would be better but let's leave that for now.

I bought a Ubiquiti Toughswitch which is powering the AirMax over PoE and I want to power the cameras through this switch as well.
The problem is I just saw that the switch is 24V passive PoE and the cameras are specified as "12 VDC ± 25%, PoE (802.3af Class3)"

Does this mean that I can or cannot power the cameras with that switch? There's a comma between 12v and PoE.

Cheers
I don't have any of those items but I'd say "no" based on their specs. On the cam, the comma means you can power it either with a 12VDC adapter OR POE which meets 802.3af specs...one or the other.

The Ubiquiti Toughswitch and Ubiquiti bridge are passive POE (probably 24 VDC). This is from page 24 of their specs:

"....PoE is disabled by default on all ports. To output PoE to the connected device, select 24V or 48V (48V available only on the TOUGHSwitch PoE PRO). To disable PoE, select Off.

Note: Before enabling PoE, check the specifications of your airMAX, UniFi, legacy, or third-party devices to ensure they support passive PoE and require the available amount of voltage. The TOUGHSwitch PoE offers 24V passive PoE, and the TOUGHSwitch PoE PRO offers 24V or 48V passive PoE."

An excerpt from Wikipedia:

"...In the common "passive" PoE system, the injector does not communicate with the powered device to negotiate its voltage or wattage requirements, but merely supplies power at all times."

Last edited:

mova

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what i feared.
I'm going to buy another PoE-switch then. Is there a PoE-switch that can supply both 24V for the AirBridge and 12V for the cameras or should I just have two separate power sources?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what i feared.
I'm going to buy another PoE-switch then. Is there a PoE-switch that can supply both 24V for the AirBridge and 12V for the cameras or should I just have two separate power sources?
IMO, no need to supply separate 12VDC to the cam. I would use a standard POE switch for the cam(s) and use a Ubiquiti POE adapter for the AirBridge. It will take the POE output from the POE switch and regulate the voltage and power needed by the 24VDC AirBridge.

They make an indoor version ( INS-3AF-I-G ) and an outdoor version, below ( INS-3AF-O-G ).

1490825407000_IMG_777541.jpg