POE Switch question

h_2_o

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK a client is dumping a truckload literally of 24 port cisco 3750's with 2 gigabit uplinks 24 poe 100mb connections and it got me thinking wouldn't these be ideal for a lot of situations? granted you will probably get a used one but these things are tanks and considering they are managed and allow true vlans it seems like they might make an ideal choice for ipcams or am i not thinking of something?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
They seem ideal to me, especially at the right price.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are noisy, so you don't want to use it in your bedroom. Looks like you can get them for less than $200/ea. Model should be WS-C3750V2-24PS-S. The P indicates PoE. 370 watts for PoE.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have the rack space I prefer Midspans honestly, for example when I made switch from PoE to PoE+ it did not require me to buy a new switch.. just upgraded the midspan, I got a 24p PowerDsine PoE+ Midspan used for ~$100

The main switch is a 48p Dlink DGS-1210-48 I got for $65, both combined will likely take a fraction of the power consumption as an old Cisco switch, those things are electricity hogs.

so for ~$165 I got 48 GigE ports, 24 PoE+ Ports, and it still consumes less energy than a 24P Cisco Switch.

its actually pretty quiet too, I wouldn't put it in my bedroom but I would not complain if it was in my office.