POE switch w/ Dahua SD6AL230F-HNI PTZ camera (43w with everything on)

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a few more cameras, lower power ones than my main one listed in the title. POE would simplify my setup so I was thinking of getting a DGS-1210-10P. I'll only have 4 or 5 cams so I was hoping to use one of the RJ45 ports to connect back to my main gigabit switch without having to use an SFP port.
Will that work? Do I need to disable POE on that port as to not fry my main switch?
Second question, my main camera with laser and heater on claims to draw up to 43w. I'll never use the heater in california and I rarely use the laser things to a street light right out front. I pretty sure Im under 30w normally.
My question is, what happens if I try to exceed the 30w in the POE switch spec? Do I release the magic smoke, or is the power negotiation smart enough to simply shut things down?

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ports on a active PoE switch are safe for non-poe devices, the switch does not power everything connected to it blindly.. it'll detect a PoE device and only provide them with power... so linking it back to your main switch via copper is no problem at all.

If you exceed the power capabilities of the switch everything should just shutdown, damage is highly unlikely but potential is there if you were writing configs to memory, updating firmware, or something simuliar when it went out.. the biggest challange is going to be the calibration dance; when booting up they often hit there power celling and there is nothing you can do to stop it.. if you dont need the heater I would suggest opening the camera up and unplugging it.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use a DGS-1210-10P and my hikvision 5220 PTZ will not power up OK on it. Tried it by accident as i swapped cables.
It works ok on 60 watt (midspan) inserter.
Connecting a 1210-10P to other switches is no issue as nayr writes the POE has a phase with detection before the power kicks in. And besides that you can setup the POE on/off per port.

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got the DGS-1210-10P up and running but the camera wont boot. I'm not convinced that its not operator error though. On external power the camera works so I know the switch is functional. I disconnect camera power and the camera turns off. Disconnect the cat5 and reconnect and I get nothing, doesnt even seem like it's attempting to boot. I feel like I'm missing some settings or something.
If the camera was asking for too much power, wouldn't it at least start to boot? Shouldn't I see some error of some sort on the switch after it fails? I don't see anything in the logs.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
switch wont have any idea, and on boot is likely when it requires maximum power.. so not nessicary.

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I were trapping "PoE Power Error" and "PoE over max power budget" would I be able to use an SNMP monitor, would I be able to see anything?

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would just by a POE ultra (60 watt) midspan and use that.
30+ watt is not in the 802.3af (15.4 watt) or 802.3at (25.5 watt)
Seems to be upcoming standard 802.3bt which should do 55 watts.

Just look for poe ultra, not standarized really perhaps but it works fine for me.