Poor Ambient Lighting - IR Illumination or White lighting?

Reaction score
Evening / Morning all..

Bit of a lurker - but first time poster. I've managed to glean load of really useful info.

I currently have a 3 camera setup and this will soon be 4..

In daylight, whether sunny or overcast, the images are crystal clear.

However, as soon as the cams switch over to IR mode at night - quite clearly I haven't got enough ambient lighting to make a decent picture.

The nearest streetlamp is about 10 metres away and is on the opposite side of the street.

Ideally I'd rather not have to wire in spotlights, but if needs must then I can.

I've seen IR illuminators that I can connect to my POE switch.

My question is do you think that its a suitable idea?

Ignore the cable in the top left - that won't be there much longer.

I am unable to connect directly to each camera as I am using an embedded NVR and I have no idea how to change each setting.

Cheers in advance,

Tom

Attachments

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That wire going right across your camera view blocks ir. Is there a way for you to move that camera lower? If you can change your exterior bulbs to LED bulbs. They provide cleaner light compared to standard bulbs.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You didn't mention what camera models you have installed. Based on the image for the Front Garden 2 it is a done camera that needs your attention to get better picture. Look through some of the threads here for how to clean up the IR reflection. You should be able to get a much better picture than what I see in the capture.

Also, if you do some looking around here there have been some very recent posts with people asking your very same question about lighting. I would check those threads out and decide for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you checked pricing on the PoE illuminators you're talking about? A PoE camera is usually the same price or maybe a few dollars more than the same non-PoE camera. All of the PoE IR illuminators I've seen are WAAAAY more expensive than their standard cousins. You'd be better off financially plugging in a bunch of PoE cameras and using their added IR than buying any dedicated PoE IR illuminator I've seen yet.

I don't believe that white lighting scares too many crooks away (they even seem to prefer stealing from my vehicle parked closest to the streetlight) but it's my preference to IR. Cheap, easy, and you can get colour video if you want it. If your cams aren't good enough to give you a good picture with the amount of white light you can add or want to add then add IR. I like at least some constant dusk to dawn plus motion floodlights then add IR til you're happy. If you don't want any white light where the camera is then by all means add lots of IR. Even add 940nm if you don't want the red glare of the regular 850nm stuff but it's more expensive and you get less light for your dollar. Some folks don't want white light pollution and prefer IR, plus I suppose some thieves might be less guarded if they think they're sneaking around with nobody watching them. As mentioned, there've been a fair number of threads lately mentioning adding IR. Doing a search on illuminator will bring up a bunch of them.

Reaction score
Hi - the cameras are the HIKVISION Mini Vandal Dome - Both have 6mm lenses.

I've managed to enable the virtual host and can muck about with the settings a bit - but as it stands no joy.

I have followed the tips on the HIKVISION technical bulletin with no effect.

I think I have come to the conclusion that there is not enough light..

Cheers,

Tom

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What does that camera look like at night if you remove the plastic dome? Does the image clear up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dumb question, but confirm that you have the black insert in that dome, which stops some of the IR from reflecting around. I did the same thing once, and forgot to put the black insert back in...looked exactly like your picture. Once I put it back in and cleaned the dome with glass cleaner it was perfectly clear.

Reaction score
Hi guys. Yup - the rubber ring / foam rings are both fitted and I can see they are touching the inside of the dome.

I've cleaned the glass inside and out too! Hopefully well enough!!

At the moment I'd have to wait to try taking the dome off - the weather is horrific!

Are there any settings I can play with?

Both cameras are mounted under the roofline. There are Windows quite close - but I don't think there's much reflection?!

Any ideas?

Cheers again

Tom

rearanger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Front garden 2 - unsure what's going on there.(is it condensation?)

your other two cams look similar to the quality I am getting from my DS-2CD2032. I have just bought a 12v ir illuminator in the hope quality will improve. I would like to avoid white light.

the hik cams do let you alter brightness and contrast.sometimes improves image a little

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly. Why do they want your first born for a PoE illuminator with basically one of those built-in? I don't get it.