Poor experience with xeon CPU + no discrete GPU

gawainxx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently migrated off of an Xeon PU E5-2650L v4 server onto a much lower powered i5-6500t system and wanted to share my experience as the difference is night and day.

I have 5 camera streams doing continuous direct to disk BVR recording.
I had several problems when I was hosting BI on the xeon CPU.
- could not reliably capture higher then 1080p
The audio and video of a 4k stream would get incredibly out of sync by several minutes as well as video would stutter horrendously, skipping a ton of frames with the recorded video getting several minutes behind actual time.
- mobile app and webui were very sluggish and slow to respond.
Logging in to the server, pulling up cameras, trying to review motion events or history all have a substantial delay/hesitation when performing the action.
- abnormally high CPU load.
While I never hit 100% there were times the CPU would spike to 40% or more which I feel abnormal for the number of cameras I was running at 1080p with BVR.
This was at it worse when trying to use the mobile client.

Even though the i5 CPU is substantially lower spec then the xeon, the quick sync makes a night and day difference. Anecdotally it seems like streaming uses CPU threads in a way that it can't leverage more then a single core effectively or something and webui/mobile clients both do some sort of transcoding of video, which is pretty harsh when there's no HW acceleration available.

I had ran a GPU in the xeon server for a short while which fixed the performance issues but caused the thing to sound like a hair dryer 24/7

I also tried a higher clock lower core xeon which helped some with the 4K problems but not the others.

Last edited: