Poor recording performance when using SenseAI

SebaVT

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here. This forum has been a great source of knowledge for my NVR project. Thanks to all the people that make this forum an awesome place.

I bought an Optiplex 7040 with an i7-6700 processor to set up an NVR with Blue Iris. Configured with 16GB dual channel RAM, 250GB SSD and a 4TB HDD. I'm recording three 4MP and three 8MP cameras. CPU is around 5% and 15% during normal operation. All cameras recording both, main and second stream at 15FPS.

When SenseAI is running, the CPU won't spike over 85% and rarely reach 99% when too many cameras are having motion at the same time.

The issue is that the main live and recorded stream are horribly choppy, and even showing the orange clock icon from time to time.

Initially I blamed my network but I was not even stressed. Also pulled the main stream from all the cameras into VLC and they were smooth as butter. Then I thought that the HDD could be the bottleneck but the total throughput is between 2 and 6 MBps. And finally I tried turning the AI off, keeping the motion detection on, and boom, now all is perfectly smooth.

I don't know how to tweak this to improve the performance. Any suggestions?