power adapter for Dahua SD49225T-HN

localdevjs

n3wb
Reaction score
First I want to leave a massive "THANK YOU!" to forum member EMPIRETECANDY, I ordered my Dahua from him on Friday afternoon and it arrived Tuesday morning.

Apparently this model doesn't come with a power brick. It has an option to use POE, or a 12v DC power brick, and I'd prefer to use the power adapter at this point instead of POE.

I have some extra adapters lying around, one from an old netbook and the other from some networking equipment. Knowing only enough about this stuff to be dangerous.... I have to ask; would either of these adapters work for my camera?

12v DC, (solid bar on top, dashed bar on bottom), 3.0A
12v DC, (solid bar on top, dashed bar on bottom), 2.0A

Both adapters have the positive in the middle/pin, with the negative on the outside.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
12vdc cant be sent very far before the voltage drop is too much.. use PoE

localdevjs

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Tinman, nayr.

12vdc cant be sent very far before the voltage drop is too much.. use PoE
Ok, but if I plug the adapter into the "wall" or a proper extension cord, and the other end of the adapter/cable goes directly into the camera; we're talking <= 3 feet of cable after the adapter. Would that not work? And how would I know if the voltage is dropping, or does it just silently cause premature electronic death.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you use POE, make sure the switch is POE+ (802.3at standard) . I’m using the one Fenderman recommended the ZyXEL switch, 5 port GbE, 4 ports POE+. $60.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

localdevjs

n3wb
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. For me this camera will be installed inside a building, so the elements thing shouldn't be a problem. I agree though, when it's permanently installed then I will use the PoE option, I just want to use the adapter for a few weeks while I play around with this camera and get some software written for it etc.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. For me this camera will be installed inside a building, so the elements thing shouldn't be a problem. I agree though, when it's permanently installed then I will use the PoE option, I just want to use the adapter for a few weeks while I play around with this camera and get some software written for it etc.
Exactly, don't get me wrong, all of my other cams are POE. It's just at the current location of my PTZ I can utilize the 12v plug instead. Now if I decide to get this mounted on a parapet arm above my roof line, I will be buying another POE+ switch....damn it never ends LOL

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use POE, make sure the switch is POE+ (802.3at standard) . I’m using the one Fenderman recommended the ZyXEL switch, 5 port GbE, 4 ports POE+. $60.
BTW, what is that model ? All my other POE switches are ZyXEL and I have never had any issues.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i see the spec on the data sheet as 13W/20W (ir on), so either power adapter (or a larger current model) will be fine for use. For extended use, i definitely agree with @nayr on the PoEat front, as a EN cable is going there anyway, why not use it for both, get weather tight and 100x the distance from a ac outlet.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I get a POE injector today from my POE switch supplier and test on this camera, if works well, next time can add this as standard power supply for SD49225T-HN. Because dahua not put any adapters for the mini PTZ.This one price is 15usd more with good quality.

Attachments