Power loss = corruption?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't know if it does, as I don't have my system setup. I'm currently installing a 6-camera system in my camper. Everything, including the Brix i5 PC, will be powered off of the coach's 12-volt batteries. However, at times, I will have to disconnect the batteries (i.e. long-term storage). If I don't shut down BI before doing so, will the currently written files be corrupted beyond repair? Or, does the BVR format allow it to resume automatically once BI is up and running again?

My primary concern with this is, should someone enter the coach and steal the electronics, will the sudden interruption of the recording render the last moments inaccessible? FWIW, all recordings are being saved to an external USB HD that is well hidden (in the wall) so it would almost certainly be left behind - even if they did manage to find the tiny Brix PC.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anything that writes to a database is susceptible to corruption if it is not properly shut down.That's because the system is constantly writing to the databases and the power failure usually occurs during writes :( but this isn't always the case and not really for the video recording. i would assume that the video file would be fine, it would just end at the point of power outage. Modern HD's are designed to lock the heads at the time of power outage so it should be good but you never know.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Agreed, and with an SSD for the OS drive, that should prevent physical damage. The USB is a 1.5TB platter drive, but my guess is that by now they've figured out how to prevent the heads from skating on the platter.

I know on some mobile DVR (dash cameras), if the internal battery isn't functioning properly when the power is pulled, the file that is currently being recorded can't be "finalized" in the few seconds of remaining battery power. When that happens, the file ending isn't in place, and unless heroic efforts are undertaken, the entire file is lost. I would think that the BVR file - which allows simultaneous reading and writing - doesn't suffer the same effect, but short of trying, I just don't know.

Ultimately, I'll do my best to remember to power it down first, but if it's a burglar/thief, I don't suppose I can get him to kindly shut down the surveillance system properly before stealing my stuff.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
haha, no I doubt they would. Another thing that you might consider, if you have a means of sending image files over cellular is have the system ftp stills to a remove server. That way if it does get swiped you might still get a still of the perpetrator. But that all depends on a wireless data account and all that. but the idea is good in theory. I do the same at home over my internet. Whenever there is motion I have a set of still JPG's FTP'd to a remote server so if my stuff is swiped I have stills, hopefully, of them entering or otherwise even if they steal the PC's et cetera.