Power usage increase

TidalWaveOne

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I noticed, using my Kill-A-Watt, that my AMD 8350 system running Blue Iris was using ~30 more watts than it used to and the major changes to the system were probably only Blue Iris software updates (to 4.8.1.4 x64) and Windows updates.

Anyone know what might have caused this sudden and unexpected increase in power usage?

The CPU and GPU usage in Task Manager look low (the same as they were before).

Last edited:

TidalWaveOne

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well strangely the power usage seems to be back to normal now. Not sure what was going on... CPU and GPU usage looks the same as it was when it was using ~30 watts more. Can something use power or the CPU/GPU without showing up in Task Manager?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Several things use power besides the CPU and GPU. Hard drives, fans, USB devices (do you charge any batteries using this computer's USB?).

TidalWaveOne

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Several things use power besides the CPU and GPU. Hard drives, fans, USB devices (do you charge any batteries using this computer's USB?).
No, wasn't doing anything different or charging anything from a USB port. Let me check power usage again... low 80s so it still seems normal. Turning on my 4K monitor makes it go up to ~85 watts but that's what I expected.

Oh well... just another mystery. I'll keep an eye on the power usage and see if it jumps back up over 100 watts again for no apparent reason.