Preferred Way to Repair Subfloor in Attic

Reaction score
Again, thanks everyone for this wonderful resource.

I wanted to run CAT5e through an interior wall where I knew there was an existing hole in the top plate because the thermostat wire was run through that wall section. That section of my attic has a subfloor (long story), so
I thought it would be easy to fish the wire through the same two holes: the one in the subfloor and the one in the top plate. Well, after 30-40 minutes trying fish a tape down through the top plate, I finally gave up and cut out a small (4"x6") section of the subfloor so I could see what the heck was going on. As it turns out, cutting out that small section of subfloor was the only way that I would have been able to see and understand how the wire had been run. Of course now I've got a subfloor issue that needs to be resolved. Is there a typical way of repairing this? One thing I see in several similar places throughout the attic is that the small scrap of subfloor is just discarded. That is, if you look down you can see the insulation and the underside of the drywall ceiling. It seems a little unsafe to me, but I suppose no more unsafe that just walking on joists and being mindful when one is up there.

Apologies for the crappy illustrations, but pretend that purple thing is a CAT5e UTP wire, the brown thing is thermostat wire, and the silver things are screws.
I could easily fasten a cleat either above or below the subfloor cutout:

From above:
OnTop.PNG

Magically seen from below the subfloor:
OnBottom.PNG

I was curious, therefore, if there was an industry "standard" or a typical way of doing this.

Option 1: Simply toss the cutout section of subfloor. It's small and be mindful when you are in the attic (famous last words).
Option 2: Cleat on bottom. To be honest, I feel like if I do put a cleat on the bottom it implies that someone could go ahead and step on it. However, the cleat on the bottom might not hold their weight 1) depending on
the person, of course, but 2) all their weight would be supported only by the fasteners. The big advantage is that it looks much better and a person would not stub their boot on it.
Option 3: Cleat on top. A cleat on the top would bear the weight of someone stepping on it, not the fasteners. And it would also give some visual indication that the subfloor was cut and there has been a modification or repair, so be wary.

Any additional thoughts or suggestions?

Regards,

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Or if hard to get to the under side, just get another square piece a little larger. Hole saw in the center. Cut it in half across hole. Screw down on top.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or screw those 2 supports to the top of the existing cut out piece and drop in in from the top.