Preset Freezing function not working on my PTZ (DS-2DF5286-A)

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm on firmware 5.3.8

Did anyone of you has 'preset freezing' function working when patrolling between presets?

I set patrolling function between some presets and I'm using 'Preset freezing' option.
Actually the patrolling function is not applying 'preset freezing' moving from one preset to the other.

This is quite an issue to me as without it, with slow connections, I'm loosing frames in zooming actions.

Anybody of you is aware of this issue and maybe has a solution?
Maybe it works but is not compatible with some complementary setting I used hence if anybody of you has success with it please share.
Did any of you has 'preset freezing' working with other Hikvision's PTZ?

Furthermore I'd like to use 'motion detection' for recording just the relevant 'motion episodes' of the single preset with the PTZ still 'patrolling' between presets.
Is there a way to obtain this or the continuously changing view prevents it?

Thanks in advance for any contribution!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no idea on your problem but I do have a comment, try to avoid patrolling if at all possible.. a PTZ's likely point of failure is the mechanics that make it move, no moving parts making contact will last forever... friction will win as eventually parts wear.. leaving your camera in a patrol means your basically putting it in constant motion and you can fully expect such behavior to reduce the life expectancy as a result.

in a car analogy, lets say you can expect a new modern car to go 10 years before catastrophic failure.. if you were to take the same car, start it up once, hook it up to an unlimited fuel supply, put it on rollers and never shut it off.. how long do we expect it to last? can we even change the oil on a running engine? expecting to get the same 10 years out of that scenario is asking for alot more than your likely to get.. the comparison the car was mostly parked for that 10 years with its mechanical parts doing nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Nayr, I see clearly your point.

I have a Pelco spectra making the same 7/7 24/24 Patrolling scheme since 5 years.
Hence I'll be able to report how Hikvision behaves compared to Pelco (as it's 1/3 of the price hope not too soon!). :laugh:

As I'm a bit skeptic about Hikvision I'm planning to set some sensors to activate presets and recording on alarm basis.
As they are remote places will not be soon nor easy nor 100% reliable.
A nice 'preset freezing' working plus a 'motion detection' recognizing (and hence not reporting) the scene change between presets would be a great out of the box solution for my needs!

At least with my Pelco the 'Preset freezing' equivalent function works like a charm!
Can't understand what's the issue with the Hikvision.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I can see that being a critical feature for patrolling, if you freeze at presets longer than your in motion its back down to under 50% duty cycle and that's a hell of an improvement.

Where'd you get your PTZ? with Hik's you need to be weary about upgrading firmware with all the different region stuff.

If you've been spoiled on Pelco's you should check out Dahua for your next one, PTZ cams are the constant strong point in Dahua vs Hik. They spend alot of effort perfecting PTZ's and box cameras where Hik does the simpler or more unique form factors better.. both have a bit of overlap but if you look at there product line you can see what they spend most of there focus on.

Last edited by a moderator: