Prewiring new brick construction

Einar46

n3wb
Reaction score
How would you pre-prewire for wall mounted IP cameras in new brick construction? The house is framed up with sheathing, but the bricks are not on yet. For floodlights, the electrician has wire and electrical boxes protruding through the sheathing. I imagine the mason will recess the electrical boxes within the brick.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
How would you pre-prewire for wall mounted IP cameras in new brick construction? The house is framed up with sheathing, but the bricks are not on yet. For floodlights, the electrician has wire and electrical boxes protruding through the sheathing. I imagine the mason will recess the electrical boxes within the brick.
It depends what you are trying to accomplish...

If you are going to flush mount your cameras directly to the brick and know exactly where you want them you can spool up a few feet of wire and attach to where it exits the sheathing. IF you have to put a note on the cable or write on the sheathing "Place out through mortar joint" the mason will most likely just string it out in one of the joints closest to where you placed it. This is normally how low voltage cable, coax cable, and phone cable work when running main connection points to the outside by the utilities. Now with that said, this will set the connection points in stone "no pun intended" and will require you to be perfect the first time - the other thing it will do is require an external mounting box since you will need somewhere for your connection to reside since you can't push back in.

Another option is simply a junction box like the electrician did, however the problem with these is the cameras do not mount to them as they are not designed for cameras. So if you do junction boxes just assure you get the smallest possible that the camera will then fully cover and you can use silicon behind the camera/around the box to weather proof it - the box and silicon will be hidden obviously by the camera and you'll have a clean mount.

Final option is a tube of conduit - run it a few inches past the brick and you can cut it clean/flush after the mason is done.

The issue wi

ipcamdude22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an outdoor wifi camera that needs power. I will be running power close to the camera but has anyone come across a good "box" that will house the cables, connectors and keep them out of the weather?