Price of Dahua domes

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
It has been odd to me, and this seems the case with every vendor I see, that the 2mp eyeball domes are always as much money as you can buy a 3mp eyeball dome. Like, the 2mp cameras are quite a bit higher priced than the 3mp cameras. I wonder why? At that price structure, there is no incentive to buy the 2mp cameras now- it makes more sense to spend the same money on a higher 3mp camera. Weird.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw that when I was looking around for solutions, and since hikv jumps from 1.3 to 3, I went with 3mp and use them at 2 :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, I saw the same thing when I preordered the hdb4300f.. was a few dollars more for the 2MP version vs the 3MP.

I presume currently the 3MP sensors are more widely available and in higher production; so the component cost is the same.. bigger orders are made for the 3MP cameras and they get the better bulk pricing when buying wholesale.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean if 2mp is your game just buy a 3mp and keep it at 2mp. I guess the vendors are stuck with the higher priced 2mp cameras and have no choice but to keep them at those prices regardless of 3mp prices.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bingo!

This is an effect of CCD component manufacturers ramping up quicker than products going out with said components.. it disrupts the market and happens all the damn time :)

By the time you got your circuits designed, tested, redesigned and finalized they come out with a shiny new component that does better than the one you designed around for the same price.. so you start all over after already having a few thousand units made up... its a natural force in Electrical Engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is the reason to have a 3mp and only use it as 2mp?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2mp gives a few extra degrees wider field of view over 3mp. Can be a + or - depending on one's needs.

I seem to have a sharper image and better live feed & recording with 2mp.

Saves CPU cycles.

Minor points. Saves some bandwidth (though of no issue to me). When going 1:1 it fills up the monitor at native resolution. With 3mp direct access going full screen I always had to scroll right to center, and down to get the lower more important part of the image, vs more sky/trees.

But primarily FOV, image quality and cpu cycles. Up to last week, I was dependent on software detection. Things start cooking really quick when you get a bunch of 3mp streams with software analytics on and live view. 2mp eased that to some extent, but in the end not enough for long term use, when you want to have one system do it all and will add a few more cameras.

That said, I may put a couple of them in 3mp and re-evaluate, now that I'm not dependent on software motion and have gotten the load sorted with ivms and substreams.