Pricing: Is this correct?

Reaction score
So if I want to build a 70 camera system, I need (#A) Milestone XProtect Pro Software Base License @ $499 & (#B) 70 Milestone XProtect Pro Software perCamera Licenses @ $169 each? (prices as seen on B&H)

Would a Dell Optiplex I7 6700 8GB be sufficient to run this configuration?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So if I want to build a 70 camera system, I need (#A) Milestone XProtect Pro Software Base License @ $499 & (#B) 70 Milestone XProtect Pro Software perCamera Licenses @ $169 each? (prices as seen on B&H)

If you log into / sign up for an account at B&H you may see lower pricing, this happens for some cameras.

Hardware would depend on the resolution and frame rate of the resolution of the cameras. I'm not a Milestone expert, but I'd think you might need a more powerful system or to split the load.

You should probably compare some other VMS as well like Avigilon and Digital Watchdog.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think so. For 70 camera's you would need quite a big system with dual Xeon server grade CPU's, and much more RAM :)

I tested Milestone Xprotect Essential+ on a spare system with just a i7-3820 with 16gb memory, and if you put everything (recording server, databases etc.) on a single server, then it will move quickly to its max with just only 2 camera's.

Last edited:

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never used the low-end Milestone systems, but the Expert and Corporate I know can handle 70 cameras on one server fairly easily.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've never used the low-end Milestone systems, but the Expert and Corporate I know can handle 70 cameras on one server fairly easily.
The software is not the bottleneck, but the system specs. A Intel I7 6700 with 8GB of ram will not run 70 camera's easily, if at all. A real server, with server grade hardware it always is easy to run it on one server :D

Personally i store databases and recordings on separate storage servers or raid partitions.