Privacy masking to help with street lighting ruining the image.

psilan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi team,

Just started making a Frigate NVR system with a few Dahua cameras. Just a few 5442 LED so far as I migrate away from Unifi (thanks to the $ this is a profitable swap!)
My rear camera has a top left section with a street view. This street is awash with light that completely ruins the image of my lawn. This wasn't an issue with the little Unifi flex camera I was using.

Is there any privacy masking that will help me here? I can put this camera elsewhere and get something else if that is a plan.
WDR etc didn't help.

I don't really want to turn the camera away from the street if I can help it.

NOTE: I am cropping out the right side of the image for privacy reasons. The black privacy mask on the left is the street and is just pure light/glow.

1695067464322.png
Don't click the Play button. :)

Lighting ON (camera light and soffit light) - not too bad, but street lighting still has a slight effect on the picture.

1695067762329.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Privacy masking only affects what is displayed on the screen; you'll either need to physically put a blinder/glare shield on the actual street light itself (a request to the utility company/installer/owner of the light), aim the camera away from the light or relocate the camera.

psilan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I hoped that wouldn't be the case but appreciate it.
The actual street light isn't visible. It's just a lot of light all over the road/footpath.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You might try some of the compensations under Settings > Camera > Conditions > Backlight > HLC. Unfortunately, I don't think the 5442s let you do a custom area to apply it to a specific area as some do. But Tony's right. Best to change the view if you can.