Probably the end of our Axis camera......

MartinW

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope someone may be able to help.

We (a rugby club) run an Axis Q6044E camera (obsolete I know). We run it via IE11 (end of life, I know) under Windows 10. Club laptop won't run W11. It loads the Axis Media Communications ActiveX which in turn is configured to use the Axis T8311 joystick. Everything works fine under IE11.

In view of IE end of life coming up, I’ve tried running it under Edge in ‘IE mode’. I can see the image from the camera, but the joystick does not move the camera at all. Tried it using Firefox with a plug-in – same thing – can see the image but joystick is ignored.

IE11 can use the joystick, and Windows 10 recognises it as a game controller.

Anyone else had this? Anyone else solved this? Might be close to the time when we chuck in the skip.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I've got access to an Ubuntu machine..........:)

MartinW

n3wb
Reaction score
I suspect this may be our best option - disable the wi-fi?
The camera and laptop are connected via a free-standing switch that it connected to nothing else. ET won't be able to phone home..........:(
Thanks for the reply.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what plugins the Axis camera has, but Firefox stopped supporting most camera plugins ages ago along with Chrome and everyone else (besides IE LOL).

Get the Pale Moon 32 bit browser. It can still run old plugins designed for Firefox.

MartinW

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera/IE11 uses a proprietary ActiveX plugin - Axis Media Control.

Using edge/IE compatibility mode - the ActiveX plugin is invoked. I can right click and configure it, I've told it to use the joystick (which appears in the drop down list) but nothing happens when I waggle the joystick.

I have now also disabled the wi-fi device in device manager and told it to forget all the known network details. This should stop an 'accidental' re-connection (barring an 'open' wi-fi network.....:()