Problems after adding 2nd camera to Synology NAS

Koen B

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and hope I've picked the right sub-forum. I'm not an expert in all things computer but try to keep up using Google where necessary. We have an older DS413j Synology NAS in the house that's mainly looked after by my brother, which I access mainly for its surveillance capabilities. I access the NAS's Surveillance Station package through a client I view on my Windows 10 PC.

For almost a year now I've been running a single camera (HiLook brand). I use it to record continously and also run a continuous time lapse for it (easy to quickly scan hours of footage, should catch any activity that goes on for longer than the fifteen second interval). This worked ok most of the time, there was the occasional hickup when a recording block would be interrupted for a short while, but these instances were rare.
Nine days ago, I added a second camera (Reolink). This too I set to record round the clock (but no time lapse in this instance). The setup with both cameras worked ok for a week but two days ago things started to go wrong. On 15.12.20 I the recording of the first camera halted around 9.30 am and didn't come back until 5 a.m. the next day. Fast forward to today, and once again recording starts to falter around 9 a.m. and then cuts out entirely. That is the state of play at the time of writing.
Recording of second camera continues as normal.

I've done a few things.
Ping test seems ok: both cameras can be reached. Problematic first camera takes longer (1 ms on first block of four tries, 1, 1, 8 and 14 ms on second block half an hour or so later). Pings for second camera under 1 ms.
Second camera opens in VLC. First one doesn't. This might have something to do with the fact I'm not 100% sure about its password (I think I got it right at one instance as the VLC pop-up that asked for it disappeared after entering one of the possibilities, unlike what happened when I tried others; however, pop-up wouldn't budge when I tried the same password again a bit later).
Restart option in Surveillance Station works on both cameras.

At one point after the problems started this morning, neither camera could be displayed in Surveillance Station's 'live view' window. After restarting my Surveillance Station client, the second camera showed live view once again. First camera is announced to be 'activating'. In the 'IP Camera' tab I can not open the pop-up windown for camera 1.

In short, while pinging shows camera 1 to be active, all other things do not work as normal. Could this have something to do with the NAS and/or cabling somehow not being powerful enough to run both? Camera 1 is on h.265, camera 2 is h.264 - may connecting two cameras be too much of a drain on the NAS leaving it with enough computing power to handle 264 but not 265? Are there other explanations? In a way it's tempting to think camera 1 has just gone wrong, but I'm a bit suspicious for that explanation since this happens so shortly after installing camera 2. Also, if this has nothing to do with the NAS why wouldn't it do live view for camera 2 at one point...

Any thoughts appreciated.