Problems sending SMS/MMS to AT&T phones

ClipperMiami

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm trying to configure BI to send MMS on certain camera alerts. 1. If i send a TEXT SMS the message goes through fairly quickly.2. If I send a MMS containing the current camera image I never get the messageIn both cases i'm using BI's default AT&T/AT&T MMS settings and my private mail serverIn addition I can send EMAILS using my private server but the "&CAM" and &NAME" do not translate to the correct short and long camera names but rather appears as "&CAM" and "&LONG

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You might have to change the destination for the picture MMS to go through. If not already using it try @mms.att.net with pics and @txt.att.net for text only. Which are you using?

ClipperMiami

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using "mms.att.net" which is the BI default for ATT. I'm still fiddling but I do get some through occasionally now so I suspect there is some problem with the mail server and ATT. Wouldn't THAT be a surprise :)

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Two things:

1) Can you validate the time your email server sent the msg and compare to when it was received on your phone
2) What size are the images that are being sent by BI

I tested this using gmail as the email sender and an image size of 176KB and the message was received not even 10 seconds after it was sent. I did this as a manual test and will try more when I get home in front of my BI server.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would imagine with SMS/MMS to email bridges there is some extra stiff spam filtering going on.. You probably need SPF DNS records with matching reverse DNS at minimum.. and even then they might still blackhole all mail servers running off a residential ip block, I would if I was the admin.

when your charge your users per message you better do a good job at stoping unwanted messages coming in or someone will start a class action law suit to make you.

using outlook/gmail/yahoo or any other authenticated mail server from a large provider is going to be granted access.. at&t will still filter for spam but at least they wont outright ignore your messages.

Last edited by a moderator: