Programmer trying to make things

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I am a programmer who works a lot with networks and I am trying to get into this world of connecting things, I have theoretical experience but quite little practice frankly.
I have been commissioned to make an installation with 3 or 4 ip cameras (I guess I will use dahua 50-80 € per camera), all the home automation (with home assistant), an alarm (with wired ajax) and wifi mesh (no idea what gadgets I will use).

For the cameras I was planning to use some dockerized recording software on a HP EliteDesk i5 which will run a lot more services.
In my head I was planning to use a switch that can power the cameras (PoE) and make 3 vlan: cameras, wifi and the rest. All boxed in a 19'' rack with fans.

It is my first installation of this type, so I don't have anything to compare. Am I complicating things? Am I going to saturate the network? Do I really need a configurable switch for so few cameras? I don't know, that's why I come to this forum in search of wisdom.

I really appreciate any advice.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Save some time and money by running Blue Iris VMS on that HP PC, hopefully one that meets these specs.
Install Windows, Blue Iris and BI's "db" folder on a SSD; perform a "clean" install of Windows using the MS Media Creation Tool from a USB flash drive.
Optimize BI's performance and use sub streams.
Send BI's videos to a spinning HDD, preferably one rated for video surveillance, like a WD Purple or equivalent.

Limit IP camera access to the Internet either using a managed switch and VLANs or do so with 2 NIC's, one for cameras and one for the BI server to access Internet, such as in this schema:

Network Topology 2NICs.JPG