PTZ Camera Advice?

zeq

n3wb
Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the seemingly basic questions but I’m a complete newbie in the security camera domain.

I have a large property (20 acres) with a cabin and separate garage that I’d like to remotely monitor during the periods when I’m away. I realize that I will eventually need multiple cameras to properly cover the property but due to budget constraints, I’d like to start off with one high-quality PTZ IP camera. The purpose of the security camera is more to generally survey the area while I’m away, and less so for security (theft) related reasons. We haven’t had any theft or vandalism issues but having a security camera will also act as a deterrent.

The targets on the property that I’d like to monitor are the garage, front of the cabin including driveway and finally my dock where the boat is moored. I have found a position on my garage that gives me an unobstructed view to all these areas, the farthest point being the dock at approximately 200 feet. The cabin is serviced with high-speed (LOL) internet DSL with 5Mbs download and 800Kbs upload according to my ISP.

As mentioned, I’d like to start off with a good quality and dependable PTZ IP camera in the $750.00 range that I could remotely access with my laptop running Blue Iris. I carry my Windows 10 laptop with me almost everywhere so this configuration serves me best. I’m not planning to install a DVR at this point in time, but as budget permits, it may be a future addition including other cameras.

I’m wondering if the Dahua Starlight Network PTZ 30X Dome Camera IP67 Auto tracking PTZ and IVS SD65F230F-HNI is a good choice for my application?

A few more questions regarding this camera:

It is only offered in the PAL format? Would this be a problem as I’m located in North American where the standard is NTSC? I believe that most DVRs have selectable formats so the PAL format will not be a problem?

Will installation and configuration be a problem if I were to attempt it myself? I’m a fairly handy person and running ethernet cable and doing the connections shouldn’t be a problem but I’m more worried about the computer side of things and getting the camera working with my router and the BI software.

I would appreciate your opinion or any other advice you may have.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pal vs NTSC means nothing in the digital domain, which IP is.

I don't know your limitations, but it's not hard to install a cam, in my opinion. If you have patience and willing to learn, IPCAMTALK can walk you through it.

You do realize the cam you listed doesn't have any IR illumination? It does have a very low lux rating, but something to consider.
See the Starlight list here: Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

Your 800kbs upload speed will be limiting on what video quality you will remotely be able to view. If you are actually getting that speed.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pal vs NTSC means nothing in the digital domain, which IP is.
That is what people have been saying for the last year on the forums here. But, if I am not mistaken PAL version only 25fps, while the NTSC Dahua cams have 30fps. I'd rather have 30fps.

That upload speed will be problematic for watching live stream of the video. You might be able to stream a substream of lower quality but you are best off with snapshots for this setup. I have 6-8mb/s upload speeds and it struggles to playback a full quality 4mp stream.

I had similar design constraints as you and I went with a Big Black Face Dahua 4mp 30x (less night capability but good daylight images.) It is still very good at night with the built in IR illuminators. Please please look into IVS for the camera you choose. It makes a big difference, I wish this camera would have came with it. All my other cameras have it. It is the difference between knowing there is an intruder and getting a ton of false alarms.

Read my threat setup here: Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

30X PTZ:
IVS:

Last edited: