PTZ camera scan modes?

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the difference between Auto Scan, Frame Scan and Random Scan on a PTZ-camera?
Manuals says the usual - that's it exists and can be configured.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no idea.. but either way its not advisable to leave a PTZ in continuous motion, it does alot of wear and tear on the mechanics and very few vendors will warranty a PTZ that was configured for perpetual motion.

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no idea.. but either way its not advisable to leave a PTZ in continuous motion, it does alot of wear and tear on the mechanics and very few vendors will warranty a PTZ that was configured for perpetual motion.
Thanks nayr that's good knowledge. I have configured it to be static during the day, covering most of my drive way/garden from 7am-9pm, where it then starts a tour. I expect this to be an acceptable workload, or?
It also gives me the option to use smart events during the day.

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Hik's in continous PTZ 24h day 360 deg and works since 2 years (2DE-5184) so dont hesitate to use it.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
Not only that, but it is guaranteed to never be pointing where you need it, when you need it; and if by chance you catch something useful it will move away before you get what you need.

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand where you are heading, Sir, but a few seconds of "something useful" is definately better than a dead angle.
It is not always an aesthetic pleasure to install 3 or 4 fixed cameras, even if costs are the same, and in my scenario it would also create a bandwidth issue, being on a 4G wireless internet connection.

So before we get completely OT, the question was not PTZ or not, but if someone knew about the various scan modes?
Camera is already mounted and the deed is written :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So before we get completely OT, the question was not PTZ or not, but if someone knew about the various scan modes?
Camera is already mounted and the deed is written :)
then you should be able to tell us, so what does it do? or can you be bothered to play with your new camera?

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
then you should be able to tell us, so what does it do? or can you be bothered to play with your new camera?
I see no real difference - why I was asking, or I get no function at all.
There are a few other scan modes, which I have figured out, but the trouble on much of this is that you need to pre-program the various functions somewhere else, before you can make use of them, and with a user manual which is 100 pages of chinglish garbage (sorry, I am not a native english/american myself, but I also don't write manuals), this is an almost impossible job, unless you consult more experienced people.

I am a fan of the cameras, but I simply hate the documentation and GUI.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont worry about it too much, apparently you dont need these features.. I cant say any of my PTZ's have anything even remotely like what you've described.. but then again I dont use any of the tour/scan features so I havent played with them very much.