PTZ cameras - acceptable to return to "approximate" preset area or exact?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Over the years, I've purchased varying brands and price ranges of PTZ cameras, Dahua, Hikvision and a few Chinese no-name brands. I find it to be a little hit and miss on how well (or not) the PTZ presets work in regard to always returning to the exact preset position. This becomes important for various presets I've set up in Blue Iris that have pretty specific trigger masks set up for any given preset. I recently tested a Sunba 601-D25x (Sunba set up remote access for me to this model to test) and although this camera looks impressive for it's price point $349), some of the presets didn't return to their exact preset I'd assigned. If I had a camera like this and set up a preset with aspecific trigger area for, say a gate/window/bird house, etc., then it wouldn't work. I would also mention that when I set up a PTZ preset test I usually set up around 8 presets and make a note of something in the edge of the video for each preset. I run through the presets 2-3 times to see how precise the preset comes back to that same preset position.
I'm sure the general consensus is that cheaper cameras will probably be unreliable in this aspect and I agree but at what price point should I expect PTZ presets to be accurate enough to use for specific BI trigger areas?
In all of the camera specs I've ever seen, you can get a very good sense of how well a camera should perform but am I correct there are no specs that cover PTZ preset accuracy as I've described above?
Would also be interested in hearing from anyone that has tested your PTZ camera for this type of accuracy. If yours is excellent would like to know your camera make/model.
By the way my cheapest PTZ bullet camera (RSRTENG 10x) seems to do well in this area and of course both my Dahua cams (42212TNI & SD49225THN) do well in this area.