PTZ installing to vinyl siding

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use 1 1/2” wood deck screws into siding/ plywood for all mine. Never looked for stud. Been up for years no issues.
If I had plywood to grab onto, would be great. I have the siding, foam insulation (4-6") blown insulation THEN the plywood.
Hence, only have vinyl and foam to grab onto unless I can find a stud.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I would look for a stud to screw into. Vinyl by its self won't hold it for long.

I have some under the soffit, just used a 1"x8" above the vinyl and screwed up through the vinyl into the 1x
With it sandwiched like that, it works good, no shake in 75mph winds, etc.

I have a couple bent up screwdrivers I made to shove into the seam to hook the end of the vinyl and pull it
enough to separate it. It's kind of a learned art.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I just came inside from hanging a Junction box and a 5442 Bullet Z4 model to vinyl siding.
I used 2 1/2" and 3" Deck screws
2" seemed to hit the sheathing and spin. So it turns out that it might have been the foam under the first layer of Siding.
I made a discovery though.
THEY RESIDED OVER THE OLD SIDING!!!
So 3" musta went into lumber cuz the last 1 inch it stiffened up, and I slowed down and eased it to snug, Not Ass Rippin tight.
3 out of 4 hit pay dirt.
Not sure how the house was constructed in 1970. but it feels like I hit plywood or OSB.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
what could this do for ya? there is a couple of these on Amazon.
I wonder if a guy could soffit mount minus the 16" PFB300C...I wonder if there is a dahua junction box that accepts that adapter and then your not stuck with the long one.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, a soffit mount with the pipe was an idea, but looks matter on this as well. WAF and all that. :) I'm hoping that new mini-ptz that Dahua is coming out with and @EMPIRETECANDY says he should have a sample soon, will work for my driveway.

But for the backyard that might work. Not sure which junction box would work with the adapter and pole, if there even is one. It sure would look kind of weird... but being the backyard would be ok.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do have a cement ledge at about 5' that I could attach a camera to.
I'm wondering if something like the pfb203 would work?

Might have to drill a hole in the back of it, to place the mount against the vinyl siding, then caulk and all that. But... looks like it might work.