PTZ motion/event detection while on tour?

Cropgun

n3wb
Reaction score
Generally speaking do PTZ cameras detect motion or events while on tour? Specifically while in the action of panning or tilting? Curious if I use a PTZ to cover a very large but less important area with a single PTZ and then set it to tour if it will stop if it detects motion.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What you're asking of a PTZ is for it to determine what kind of motion is sees, regular movement of the camera versus movement from some other source. Frankly, I don't think there's a PTZ on the market that can do that and, if there were, it would be priced well beyond what consumers would want to pay, probably even big, corporate, users and governmental agencies. That said, auto tracking can help somewhat but keep in mind PTZs generally have a fairly long focal length even when zoomed out which makes close up views problematic in many instances.

The problem with a PTZ is that it is fun to play with, but when needed it always seems to be looking in the wrong direction. Assuming you're talking about a decent PTZ the cost is in the $400 and up range. Two, or even three, fixed cameras would be much more reliable for either less or equivalent money.

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Tours and patrols can usually be interrupted to say, auto track something, but it will be a balance of allowable time for the interruption because once time is up or the event doesn't keep the cameras interest any longer it will return to the programmed tour that is set for the time period. That can certainly cause important things to be missed. I would keep stationary cameras covering the area and have those channels call the ptz into action if you must have a ptz.

Cropgun

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. It is more of a curiosity than anything. Just wondering if such a thing was possible.

So an autotrack camera will stop itself mid tour to track something it finds?

Longview

n3wb
Reaction score
This is good! I have a Dahua PTZ with Auto Tracking and had three presets with a tour. It would event alers with any kind of alert setting when panning.

Now I have it stationary with Auto Tracking and a fixed camera for the other area.