ptz streaming cricket to youtube at 60 fps

minitrue

n3wb
Reaction score
As the title suggests my question is really about 60fps but I'll give the context and overall picture in case it helps anyone give me some pointers/ideas!

I think I can finally coax the budget out of my cricket club to start streaming all our games. I'd hope then to add to it annually until we have maybe 12 cameras but I don't see that happening if I suggest we blow €2000 on an axis cam + camstreamer w/osd for the first step which is the safe option! I've been researching the hell out of this for months now (after years of watching what's out there waiting for the tech to reach a realistic price for no real budget) and only finally discovered this wonderful site a couple of days ago which gave me a lot of extra great reading (and what looks like a reliable chinese vendor), thanks! Hopefully someone finds this an interesting and unusual enough idea to want to chip in with their thoughts!

I'm pretty sure at this point the requirement is an outdoor PTZ camera (vandal proof nice so it's not likely to break the first time someone manages to hit it with a ball, but not worth a lot extra as it will be quite an act of skill and luck) that can get in to maybe 10 degrees or less horizontal fov and can output 720p60 h264 (so it can "just" be lightly repacked to upload live to youtube, maybe with a little audio mixing to allow commentary). "Only" 720p as 10MBit/s would be half our upload bandwidth and hence about as much as I'm happy to use and 1080p60 to youtube at that rate isn't likely to be enough to survive their recoding well. Obviously ideally the camera could do 1080p60 h265 so we could step up in future if/when youtube adopt it but it's not worth doubling the price of the camera for. The 60 fps is my main bugbear now and why I'm posting but with a ball travelling up to 150 km/h I really think it's worth it.

The Big Question: Take a camera like the Dahua SD59225U-HNI which says it does 50/60 fps and on Empire's aliexpress page has only a PAL option (while some have PAL or NTSC options). Does the PAL mean it will only do 50 fps? Or is the 50/60 fps only relevant if you power it with AC where it will lock to the supply rate? Or is it just a way of saying it can't do 51-59 fps?

PTZ btw as each game could be on a different parallel strip, so the idea would be that it would sit out by default on a wide shot that wouldn't be great but better then nothing and each day someone bothers they can stick it on the right preset for that days pitch and tighten up on the action.

The camera will be roughly 60m-80m from the action and ideally be able to hold a manual focus to keep a 20m+ dof around it. If it gets into the tightest zooming that dof can narrow down so I don't think I'm in trouble on this front as long as I can avoid it doing a bad autofocus dance.

The camera is going to end up on a pole (and probably not a massively fat one) so I'm pretty sure we'll want/need some image stabilisation and the lighter the better (squeezing out the IR and heaters etc). One good bit of news is the environment is very friendly, it's not going to be used at freezing temps and wouldn't ever see 30C either (this isn't Australia/India, it's Ireland). IR and night vision are irrelevant here for it's real use, worth a little extra so it could try and watch the pitches overnight (so ~90m of IR range which strikes me as quite unrealistic over a 40mx20m area) and look out for mischief but I'd happily throw them out for a real saving or just to keep it more stable on the pole.

The PC which processes and uploads the stream should be recording but I'd love to have an sd-card in the camera also which can store 10h+ of footage (a 3 hour game followed by a 7 hour game so I think 64G is plenty but I'd probably put in as much as it can take). Likewise I'd probably hope to use something like OBS to manipulate the output stream (putting on scores, maybe dropping in ads/logos and perhaps switching cameras with a hdmi input or go-pro footage). I'm a techie so I'm not too worried about this side of things as long as the cameras output anything sensible for something to digest. I am mildly worried about how to let people set the camera to it's preset for the day but think now (thanks to seeing dahua http api docs here) it should be easy enough to script up something rather then requiring them to find a browser that works with the camera!

Suffice to say if I can find a plan and give it a shot I'll keep you all posted and give you the chance to have a look at the result!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
PAL means the camera will not be able to exceed 50 FPS. Otherwise, that seems like it should be a good choice of camera. Be sure to ask whatever seller you buy from specifically about NTSC, as I wouldn't put it past any seller to just ship you a PAL camera anyway and assume you wouldn't care about the difference.

You can get one of the cameras that is covered by a bubble dome, however I don't know if that will survive a hit by a cricket ball any better than one without. Cameras with bubble domes don't have built in infrared and they usually cannot be pointed up above the horizon without the edge of the enclosure getting into the view.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
only NTSC Dahua cameras are capable of 60FPS, but Youtube wont let you stream 60FPS 1080p to em at a reasonable bitrate.. they want like 6000Kbps max for live stream events and you'll get better quality running 30fps at that bitrate.

You also wont get to use any WDR or AntiFlicker features with the framerate maxed out.

minitrue

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks so much bp2008 and nayr! I expected so but the only thing I found around here (or anywhere really) was a claim PAL/NTSC didn't matter for IP cameras :-o And yes, I suspect I'll have to be very explicit to actually make sure I get what I want and not just shipped a PAL camera!

By a bubble dome you mean something like say a SD65F230F-HNI with IK10? My instincts say the odds on a strike on one of those killing it would be a lot lower then the odds of a strike on an unprotected one killing it but with the odds of it being struck in the first place being so low it's probably not worth it. WRT the horizon, the camera is going to be 4m+ off the ground and I'm happy to live with the ball going out of shot if it is higher then the camera, sure I'd love to try and dive into programming up an axis to see if I could make it track the ball up there but that's a long long way away!

I've just realised I'd been looking at youtubes normal rate recommendations up to now and just found their live stream recommendations Live encoder settings, bitrates, and resolutions - YouTube Help which suggests 4,500-9,000 for 1080p60 (3,000-6,000 for 1080p30 and 2,250 to 6,000 for 720p60) so actually 1080p60 would be realistic with the ~10,000 I've in mind as a maximum amount we can soak out of our upload! 720p60 was annoying me but I was happy, 1080p60 would make my day! I'm really, really, really dead set against dropping to 30 frames per second unless I just don't have a choice (and the link strongly suggests the only option is 30 or 60).

It actually says you can go up to 51,000 for 4K/60 but apart from the fact our network connection wouldn't take it, our budget isn't going to stretch to that sort of camera, but 1080p60 could happen!

Thanks a million both of you, already a massive amount of help!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive been using ManyCam as a cheap inline live stream producer, it'll pull feeds up from multiple Dahua IP Cameras and let you overlay text and transition between cameras or do split screens with em.. however its YouTube streaming is not as good, solid, or reliable as a good ole ffmpeg process piping the cameras output direct to youtube w/out transcoding anything.. I can maintain a nice solid green connection by setting up the camera directly to Youtube's needs, Ive found when streaming to youtube its nice to have a camera that has a 3rd 1080p substream.. this way I can record the Main Stream at like h265 full quality, and stream to youtube at settings specific to youtube's needs (h264 VBR Max YT Recommendations/AAC 128K).. I needed WDR more than FPS so I never really tried more than 30FPS to YTLive

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think any IP camera is going to give you the kind of low latency and PTZ responsiveness you need to auto-track a ball in the air. The video analytics to find the ball in each frame is hard too.

minitrue

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008 yeah tracking a ball is a pipe dream for now, I think it could be doable with enough money (and time) to work on coding it, but it's madness!

ManyCam looks interesting and part of why I'm shying away from a €2000 axis + camstreamer++ approach (even if it should be much more idiot proof) is I'm sure it or OBS or "something" PC based will be the answer to better productions down the road as more cameras are added. For phase 1 with camera 1 though just ffmpeg'ing it out to youtube is fine (and if I can get a decent OBS or the like setup working to add scores/logos/commentary and things great but if not no harm).