PTZ suggestions

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried to use the search function and nothing comes up for PTZ... :facepalm: assuming its a glitch .

Anyways, I am looking for at least a 4-5MP ptz camera but also with wifi capability.
I really like the look of the amcrest IP2M-866W mainly because of the form factor and it would easily mount to my soffit. Problem is 2MP is lame in my opinion.
1st question: is there anything similar to this form factor thats better ?

I was considering getting this 8MP but i would have a to trench a network cable across the yard to my shed for this mount style.
2nd question: anything like this type but with wifi ?

Thanks all

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any camera can be made wireless with the addition of a dedicated, encrypted, wireless link like this -

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

As far as a camera, look for a 2MP with at least a 1/2.8" sensor or a 4MP with a 1/1.8" sensor. Smaller sensors, in either, will result in bad night vision.

25X PTZ

If you buy this camera buy it from Andy at EmpireTech. Dahua has stripped the auto tracking from the firmware to get people to buy the newer, more expensive, version. Andy supplies them with auto tracking software.

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
interesting. I finally got my unify network setup with 2 wifi6 LR ap's .
ill have to take a look at those. I do have a linksys that i could technically use to extend the wifi and hard wire the camera

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You may get away with two iFi cameras, but three is probably a bridge too far. Remember WiFi is not designed for constant streaming like a camera produces. Sure you can stream a movie, but that is buffered. There is no buffering with a surveillance camera. One lost packet, a retry storm occurs, and the system goes to crap. You're also routing all the WiFi cameras through your router which is not really designed to handle that kind of bandwidth.

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
didn't even think about the buffering ... well i think i may end up hard wiring the shed then. I already have 1 wifi camera and 2 may be too much.
Appreciate the input

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you do hardwire use gel filled, shielded, outdoor rated, cable. Ground both ends appropriately and use a surge suppressor at the house end. Alternately, use fiber optic cable. The idea being to provide as much protection as possible from surge spikes, or with a dedicated RF link or fiber total isolation from them.

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
will do thanks, Still contemplating on cost of doing the nanostation vs hard wire.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless you own your own ditch witch, or can get one to use for free, don't forget to factor in the shovel work!

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
agreed. appreciate all the feedback. ill have to see if i can swing the cost right now. :)