PTZ - Tracking based on multiple sensor relay output

rotordave

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a PTZ camera (such as the DH-SD49225T-HN or DH-SD59230U-HNI, but I'm flexible) with the ability to track to a location(s) based on existing sensors around my property.

I'm not sure if this is possible and whether the above (or other cameras) support such a thing, so would appreciate some advice.

What I have is several sensors (4) around the perimeter of the property which communicate wirelessly with a base station (in the house) that has NO/NC relay outputs. What I was hoping to achieve is that when one of these sensors trigger and the respective relay is closed, I could communicate this to the camera somehow to tell it to track to a configured location. Auto-tracking from this point would be nice but not essential.

The camera would be installed outside with POE only.

I'm not averse to engineering a solution (e.g. using a Raspberry Pi or similar) if required. I currently have the alarm base station outputs connected to a Raspberry Pi for the purpose of recording events and sending notifications to my phone.

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks!

rotordave

n3wb
Reaction score
Holy smoke - that's exactly what I was hoping for - I didn't know there was an API. How can I determine whether the cameras I'm looking at support the API in full?

I take it a PTZ preset point takes into account zoom level as well as pan/tilt. If I were to use this to set the PTZ to a preset, how does that work with Auto Tacking - will the camera continue to auto track once told to go to a preset?

Does anyone have any examples of having used this API successfully?

rotordave

n3wb
Reaction score
Now that I know the API exists I've been doing some more searching and found some examples.

Looks like I need to do something like the following:
curl 'http://username:password@<IP>/cgi-bin/ptz.cgi?action=start&channel=1&code=GoToPreset&arg1=0&arg2=<preset_number>&arg3=0'

Has anyone got this working on the DH-SD49225T-HN or DH-SD59230U-HNI ? Want to make sure this will work for me before shelling out for one of these.

Would also like to know how these commands work with Auto Tracking.

Thanks a lot.