PTZ425DB-AT Did I Overbuy?

shaywood

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased a PTZ425DB-AT to cover my driveway and front of the house. I installed the PTZ on the left corner of the house. The camera appears to not have a very wide angle even when zoomed out. I've had several cameras in the past and never had a problem covering my driveway. With this camera, I can't see my entire cars (see pic). Is there a setting that I'm missing? Ideas?

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera has a variable focus lens that starts at 5mm. Compared to a typical overview camera of say 2.8mm it’s almost twice as zoomed from the start. It’s a good little ptz , especially if you have some supplemental light to help it at night .

Judging by the image, you have a very shallow front yard, so yes it makes sense.

Most people starting out fall into the trap of trying to do too much with one camera. A ptz isn’t the best choice for a single camera covering your front yard/drive. It’s a great companion to a fixed wide angle cam (2.8mm) . Other than the close focus range, a ptz can’t be in two places at once, so inevitably it will be looking left when the bad guy is on the right breaking into your car.
A fixed overview camera on the other side would be a good start. It can watch over your vehicles while the ptz tracks activity.

Last edited: