PTZ4M-25X-PV camera PTZ resetting periodically - possible firmware bug

n2qew

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Purchased a PTZ4M-25X-PV. I've had it outside testing prior to install on top of a tall building. I noticed over the past couple of days that it would periodically go to the power-up preset. Looking in the logs, it says "PowerUp PTZ Operation Type:Go to Preset". This is not the same set of messages that you get when you power up the camera. I noticed this morning that the spacing between these messages is exactly 8 hours. I had cleared the logs yesterday, so I cannot read the logs from tuesday into wednesday, but I have been recording the video on BI. I looked back at the interval between the PTC resets on video, and sure enough, 8 hours. Seems like maybe a firmware bug, as I wouldn't expect some sort of hardware issue to be at an exact interval.

I'm going to have to find a similar camera as I'm sure that this won't be instantly fixed - if ever. Anyone got suggestions for a PTZ camera at a similar price point?

Can anyone who has one of these cameras look in their logs and see if you are seeing the same?

FWIW, camera is default except for EIS, force color night, NTP, etc. No AI, or other scheduled stuff in it. The two log entries for overnight are below. I expect that if the 8 hour thing holds true, the next occurrence will be at 13:53. Also, I put screenshots showing what the camera burns into the video at the time that the PTZ resets. The log entry times appear to be when the reset completes all the gyrations. No loss in video, so clearly not a power issue.

Username: System
Time: 2024-07-25 05:53:21
Type: PTZ Operation
Contents: {Channel:0 No.:1 PTZ Function:powerUp PTZ Operation Type:Go to Preset }

Time: 2024-07-24 21:53:18
Contents: {Channel:0 No.:1 PTZ Function:powerUp PTZ Operation Type:Go to Preset }

NewMurchTest 2024-07-24 01.02.55.750 AM.jpgNewMurchTest 2024-07-24 09.02.54.957 AM.jpgNewMurchTest 2024-07-24 09.52.43.68 PM.jpgNewMurchTest 2024-07-25 05.52.45.324 AM.jpg

n2qew

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
.... I expect that if the 8 hour thing holds true, the next occurrence will be at 13:53....

Time: 2024-07-25 05:53:21

Time: 2024-07-24 21:53:18
Yes... it did it at 13:53. Likely a bug of some kind.

Time: 2024-07-25 13:53:21

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us have noticed goofy things with the newer camera GUI and BI and many of us noticed a camera factory reset fixes it.

That is now my first course of action with every new camera is a factory reset.

n2qew

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Many of us have noticed goofy things with the newer camera GUI and BI and many of us noticed a camera factory reset fixes it.

That is now my first course of action with every new camera is a factory reset.
I defaulted it a few times. That's why I couldn't show the logs from Tuesday into Wednesday. So.... I needed a camera that would not do the periodic PTZ reset, so I ordered a Valucam that looks very much like the prior one sold here. We'll see when that gets here.

But, since this one was going back, I figured I would try real DH FW for the same camera in it. What's on their site for this camera type is a bit newer that what came in it - which is the same as what's on EmpireTech's site. I figured if I bricked it, then lesson learned. The newer firmware fixes the EIS issue to a large extent. Up next to see is if it cures the PTZ reset issue. I'll know that by tomorrow. It also makes a few things that didn't work with the original FW work. For example, clicking the middle of the PTZ circle to make it blue now allows you to draw the square around the area on the screen you want to zoom to and show a yellow box. Old FW, you had to guess. Same thing with area focus. The buttons at the bottom of the live view screen also now work.

n2qew

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been running DH firmware since yesterday afternoon and no spontaneous resets. Got a message from Andy to try updating the PTZ FW. The link he sent for the updated FW actually appears to be the same version as WAS on the camera. The version from DH is slightly newer, and as I said seems to have made it stop happening. I might try downgrading back to what it was to see if the issue returns, but I think that is actually something that should be done by the seller, as I risk bricking it. Also, I would think that he would have several versions of FW and several cameras to run simultaneously to get around the multiple 8 hour wait for the issue to occur.

Anyone else out there have these cameras that can check their logs and FW versions?
System Version:3.200.164L000.0.RBuild Date:2024-04-25
PTZ Version:V2.401.164L000.0HNDO_240316_46149