Pulling cat5e through a long conduit run

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am planning a spring project to install a camera at the beginning of my driveway. Looking at about 250ft of a buried conduit run with a couple of 45 degree bends. Have done this several times on a smaller scale and have lubricant etc. Concerned about the high frictional forces over such a long run pulling cat5. Any tips or thoughts? TIA

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I did a similar length run, inserting a conduit body about every 75 ft, and at a couple of 90 deg bends, so I don't have any pull runs over 75 ft. I also have open pipe ends in irrigation valve boxes in a few places to handle multiple cables branching to different destinations. On the pipe ends in the irrigation boxes, I notch a 45 deg elbow and slip it on the end to prevent water from dripping into the conduit. I have a lot of slopes so in most cases I can make sure a conduit section will drain to one end if it were to get water in it. Just throwing out ideas.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Suck a leader string through the run w/a vacuum cleaner, then use some lube when you go to pull the ethernet cable through.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^ and tie a balloon or scrap of plastic to the string to make it easier to vacuum.

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Any specific cable I should use for this job?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
burial rated cable from monoprice

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning a spring project to install a camera at the beginning of my driveway. Looking at about 250ft of a buried conduit run with a couple of 45 degree bends. Have done this several times on a smaller scale and have lubricant etc. Concerned about the high frictional forces over such a long run pulling cat5. Any tips or thoughts? TIA
Use conduit bigger than you think you need will help with the pull as well. You can also pull the wire as each section is assembled.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Suck a leader string through the run w/a vacuum cleaner, then use some lube when you go to pull the ethernet cable through.
I use a slightly different method. Blow the string through the conduit with air from an air compressor. Tie a cotton ball on the end of the string, and it blows right through.

flyboyusa

n3wb
Reaction score
I've always used a Walmart bag cut in half and tied to the nylon pull string. Duct tape a shop vac to the other end of the conduit and suck the pull string w/ bag attached all the way through.
And as others said, when u figure out what size conduit to use, go a couple sizes bigger, you'll never be sorry, now or in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk