Pulsating/iframe problem on Hikvision NVR recordings

td0g

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope someone has run into this before. I've noticed that on playback of recordings of cameras in my Hikvision DS-9632NI-i8, the video is not as good as the original stream was, it appears to pixelate/pulsate every second on the keyframe. I can't see anywhere in the NVR settings to adjust this for recording, only on the Video/Audio->Video page or on cameras directly in the case of ONVIF. This happens on my Hikvsion brand cameras, onvif cameras and an rstp stream. Perhaps I'm missing something, but shouldn't it be recording with the same settings as the Main Stream displays?

td0g

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you select 1080p on vimeo it looks just like the original

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You don't see what looks like noise in the entire frame once per second at 1080p?
Ok, watched again on another monitor, yes I now see it. Nothing out of the normal.
I missed it the first time, because your video actually stops at the 52 second mark, and is only showing a static image the rest of the time. Watch the time stamp.

Reduce the sharpness some in the cameras Gui, and that might help alleviate some of it.

td0g

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks, this video is crystal clear in the live view of it though, both in ivms-4200 and browsing with chrome. I guess the processor is just losing something in the writing to hard disk. I think this started happening after I added the last couple of cameras to that machine.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks, this video is crystal clear in the live view of it though, both in ivms-4200 and browsing with chrome. I guess the processor is just losing something in the writing to hard disk. I think this started happening after I added the last couple of cameras to that machine.
Have you tried other video codec settings?
Try 265 vs 264 or 264h, etc.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is your bitrate set to? Try bumping it up. I have found that to help with the pulsing

td0g

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've tried every combo of bitrate, framerate and encoding available on the cameras, it doesn't seem to matter. I can't find anything to modify on the NVR that would apply to the recorded streams.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I seem to be experiencing similar effects on my recorded video, although if I use live view from the console through the VGA port, it is visible as well. Live view through iVMS-4200 Lite shows crystal clear. I am using DS-7616NI-E2 with 2332 and 2335 Hik cams.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I noticed this was happening and most visible on my Hik 2335's with H.264+ enabled. I made a few changes that seemed to all but have eliminated the issue, however, I am not sure they all need to be made. I will do them individually tomorrow for process of elimination to see which actually helped the most. First I turned off H.264+ and set it to normal H.264. I upped the iframe to 50, set max bitrate to 4096 and frames to 20. That seemed to work very well. These changes were made directly in each cameras web interface settings and not the NVR.

td0g

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I noticed this was happening and most visible on my Hik 2335's with H.264+ enabled. I made a few changes that seemed to all but have eliminated the issue, however, I am not sure they all need to be made. I will do them individually tomorrow for process of elimination to see which actually helped the most. First I turned off H.264+ and set it to normal H.264. I upped the iframe to 50, set max bitrate to 4096 and frames to 20. That seemed to work very well. These changes were made directly in each cameras web interface settings and not the NVR.
Did you do all this on each camera or do you have a way to set the encoding on the recorded video separately on your DVR?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Did you do all this on each camera or do you have a way to set the encoding on the recorded video separately on your DVR?
This morning I went back and started tweaking one thing at a time to try and pin point what made it better. As bigredfish mentioned, it looks like boosting the iframe to 50 in each individual camera was the single thing that increased the quality of live view. The iframe setting is only available in each cameras web interface and not in the NVR interface (at least it is for me, using the Hik DS-7616NI-E2 NVR). The encoding setting can be changed for each camera in the web interface of the NVR. Keep in mind once you change any camera settings from within the NVR web gui interface, it supersedes any settings made directly on the cameras web interface and will overwrite them. I would recommend making any camera changes from witin the NVR web gui unless the specific setting you are looking for is not listed in the NVR web gui. Then you could login directly to the camera and make the change.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually do the opposite and make all image changes on the camera, but same theory, do it in just one place or the other.

I typically match Iframe to FPS and don’t get much pulsing. 2x FPS seems to work well also, anything else I tend to see the pulse more...

td0g

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most of my cameras only have i-frame intervals measured in seconds from 1 to 5 seconds, playing around with it does have an effect, for example if I set the i-frame interval to 5s and I set to h.254, HD, 2048 Kbps, CBR, 5 fps, I only see a pulse about every 5 seconds, but if I keep everything else the same and go 10, 15 or 20 fps, it goes back to every second. I have a few cameras where I can't adjust the i-frame at all, and those are the worst looking, none of these really breaks the footage, it's just annoying to look at, like I'm seeing my own pulse. I just wish I knew what the difference was between the live feed processing and the recording, Hikvision support says it should be recording exactly what it's showing.