Push notification delay

BayAreaDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone else recently experience delays in receiving push notifications through the BI mobile app for iOS? Notifications had been almost instantaneous for me for about the last two years. However, I have experienced delays of 1-3 minutes both on WiFi and cellular over the last week or two. I am currently running most recent versions of iOS and BI5. Anything in particular I should be looking at?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m not noticing any delay. What version of BI are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m on 5.3.9.10 and not seeing any delay. Have to see if others on your version also report seeing delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BayAreaDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've noticed that the last couple of updates had partially something to do with Apple certificates. Someone commented over on Reddit that Apple recently made some changes to their push notification service. I'm wondering if these things could have something to do with it. I just find it odd that for the past two years, I had been impressed with how I received instant alerts on my phone. For instance, I would get a doorbell chime on my mobile app for my front porch before a person could reach the actual doorbell. Now I will get the alert after someone has been to my porch and already left. I haven't changed anything on my end other then updating BI and iOS.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you using GIF previews?
I’ve noticed GIFs slow down iOS notifications significantly for me. Usually only 10-15 seconds longer than a still or no image, but sometimes much longer. They’re so useful that it’s worth the trade off for most my cameras.

But it sounds like that’s maybe not the issue here.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just get the Blue Iris alert notification and open the app to view the motion clip.
Strange. And no other network changes etc? Is the delay the same (in seconds/mins) for both LAN & WAN connections?

Try removing the device from blue iris, delete the app on your phone and re-install. Helped me with one device that was getting delayed alert notifications.

I’ve noticed GIFs slow down iOS notifications significantly for me. Usually only 10-15 seconds longer than a still or no image, but sometimes much longer. They’re so useful that it’s worth the trade off for most my cameras.

But it sounds like that’s maybe not the issue here.
Yes I had to stop using GIF previews as the delay increased massively. They were once quick when I first started using them!

StarAPI

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone else recently experience delays in receiving push notifications through the BI mobile app for iOS? Notifications had been almost instantaneous for me for about the last two years. However, I have experienced delays of 1-3 minutes both on WiFi and cellular over the last week or two. I am currently running most recent versions of iOS and BI5. Anything in particular I should be looking at?
I am experiencing the same thing. Had to upgrade to get the new Apple Certificates as for a little while I wasn't getting anything. Since then, it has been a bit delayed, about 20 seconds. Livable, but not as nice as it once was.

I'm on 5.3.9.15.

BayAreaDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try removing the device from blue iris, delete the app on your phone and re-install. Helped me with one device that was getting delayed alert notifications.
Looks like that did it. Deleted the phone from Blue Iris and the then mobile app. After reloading the app and the phone, I am getting instant notifications again for the time being. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit Looks like issue not resolved. Still getting notification delays.

Last edited: