Push notifications not working in Android 4.4.2

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I updated my phone to 4.4.2 today and I don't receive push notifications anymore.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated my phone to 4.4.2 today and I don't receive push notifications anymore.
Double check the "Mobile Devices" tab under BI Options to make sure that your phone is selected to receive push notifications.

dalepa

Reaction score
I don't use push anymore, but I just checked my samsung s5 with 4.4.2 and it wasn't working anymore either. I removed the mobile devices in BI and opened the APP again, then in BI activated the device in Settings->mobile device. .. working again...

I think BI sees 4.4.2 as another mobile device, so you have to activate it as new...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't use push anymore, but I just checked my samsung s5 with 4.4.2 and it wasn't working anymore either. I removed the mobile devices in BI and opened the APP again, then in BI activated the device in Settings->mobile device. .. working again...

I think BI sees 4.4.2 as another mobile device, so you have to activate it as new...

Okay yeah I'm back! I had installed cyanogenmod because google abandoned my galaxy nexus but it was all borked so I had to reset it and apparently that created two mobile devices in BI so I deleted the extra and checked off the box on the newest one, push notifications are back in bidness. I love them, before I was doing SMS and email, now I'm doing push and storing everything in the cloud.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay yeah I'm back! I had installed cyanogenmod because google abandoned my galaxy nexus but it was all borked so I had to reset it and apparently that created two mobile devices in BI so I deleted the extra and checked off the box on the newest one, push notifications are back in bidness. I love them, before I was doing SMS and email, now I'm doing push and storing everything in the cloud.
I use Cyanogenmod on my Nexus 7 tablet and really like it. In fact the same thing happened when I installed it on my tablet, I had to go into BI Options and re-check push notifications.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I use Cyanogenmod on my Nexus 7 tablet and really like it. In fact the same thing happened when I installed it on my tablet, I had to go into BI Options and re-check push notifications.

Have you tried http://aokp.co/? my friend is raving about it, I might try it, although I don't know if I feel like redoing everything again.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried http://aokp.co/? my friend is raving about it, I might try it, although I don't know if I feel like redoing everything again.
No not yet, have heard lots about it though. I used to have HTC phones and would always root and install custom ROM's but ever since I switched to Samsung (S3, now S4), I have been rooting and installing bloat-free OEM ROM's. Root the same day I get them which reminds me, I'm almost due for an upgrade :D

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
No not yet, have heard lots about it though. I used to have HTC phones and would always root and install custom ROM's but ever since I switched to Samsung (S3, now S4), I have been rooting and installing bloat-free OEM ROM's. Root the same day I get them which reminds me, I'm almost due for an upgrade :D

I'm gonna ride my galaxy nexus till the wheels fall off, especially since I bought it outright. :D

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm gonna ride my galaxy nexus till the wheels fall off, especially since I bought it outright. :D
Yup I don't blame you! I'm lucky because one of my closest friends works for one of the major mobile providers so I am on her employee account and get discounts on phones and service. Only thing is that I usually have to wait several months after a new phone is released but as long as I am eligible for an upgrade I can get it (with no contract renewal!) BTW sorry for taking the thread so far off topic, I only did because your issue was resolved.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup I don't blame you! I'm lucky because one of my closest friends works for one of the major mobile providers so I am on her employee account and get discounts on phones and service. Only thing is that I usually have to wait several months after a new phone is released but as long as I am eligible for an upgrade I can get it (with no contract renewal!) BTW sorry for taking the thread so far off topic, I only did because your issue was resolved.
Don't bother me, you can delete it if you want, it was more pebkac than anything. :D

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't bother me, you can delete it if you want, it was more pebkac than anything. :D
No need to delete anything, just wanted to throw it out there!

What rooted apps do you use? I use Titanium backup, root explorer, AdAway, roam control, SU, busybox, rom manager and a few network related ones :D

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
No need to delete anything, just wanted to throw it out there!

What rooted apps do you use? I use Titanium backup, root explorer, AdAway, roam control, rom manager and a few network related ones :D
DNS Hostname, es file explorer, greenify, secure settings, tasker, super SU, busybox, vpn root, ad away, youtube adway and some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh swell...more phone geeks! :p G1 on cupcake was my first (and only) brick. Been on the Nexus bandwagon since the One (gawd I loved that phone!), with a brief stopover HTC Sensation, Galaxy S3 (GNex was a VZW unit afaic, and I'm die-hard TMO). Rock'in Nex 5, 7 and HP Chromebooks(Ubuntu hacked on). :laugh: