Pushover notifications on Android/iOS with pictures from BI 5

scudre

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Folks! I don't want to expose Blue Iris outside of my home network. Which means picture previews on notifications on my Android phone via the Blue Iris app don't work. I also don't want to setup up something complex using MQTT and Home Assistant just for notifications. So I wrote a Python script that is executed by Blue Iris that sends a message, and uploads the alert image directly to Pushover. The script uses the &ALERT_PATH macro added in Blue Iris v5.2.0.2 to determine which alert image to send with the notification. Boom notifications on my phone in the Pushover app with picture previews.

You can find the script, and instructions for setting it up right here. One caveat, the instructions assume you already have Python and Pushover setup.

Last edited:

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Setup VPN at home and always have you phone connected to home lan via VPN then the BI app works just like when you are home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just use the Pushover email. I have BlueIris send an email with a picture when triggered.
The email it sends TO is my Pushover email. Because I have the Pushover app installed on
my phone, it pops up with a push notification with the photo "Blue Iris app style".
No scripts, pretty fast. Simple.

If it shows anything I want to know about, I VPN into my home network and load up the actual Blue Iris app on my phone.

Last edited:

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On IOS i have VPN profile setup that auto connects anytime phone not on home WiFi. VPN is setup on Ubiquity edge router.

Found a site that will generate VPN profile that are setup to auto connect and have WIFi ssid you can set as exceptions.

Easy setup and the the BI app works all the time and have push notifications and access that just works as phone is always on local lan IP. Trick was to setup local lan ip in both LAN and WAN fields of BI app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fooch

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Folks! I don't want to expose Blue Iris outside of my home network. Which means picture previews on notifications on my Android phone via the Blue Iris app don't work. I also don't want to setup up something complex using MQTT and Home Assistant just for notifications. So I wrote a Python script that is executed by Blue Iris that sends a message, and uploads the alert image directly to Pushover. The script uses the &ALERT_PATH macro added in Blue Iris v5.2.0.2 to determine which alert image to send with the notification. Boom notifications on my phone in the Pushover app with picture previews.

You can find the script, and instructions for setting it up right here. One caveat, the instructions assume you already have Python and Pushover setup.
Hey scudre,

Thanks for taking the time to create this script. I've been testing with it and can't get pas the error below. Any ideas on what I might have configured incorrectly. Thanks!

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\BlueIris\alert_notify.py", line 99, in main
_, timestamp, cam_name, alert_file = argv
ValueError: not enough values to unpack (expected 4, got 1)

scudre

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey scudre,

Thanks for taking the time to create this script. I've been testing with it and can't get pas the error below. Any ideas on what I might have configured incorrectly. Thanks!

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\BlueIris\alert_notify.py", line 99, in main
_, timestamp, cam_name, alert_file = argv
ValueError: not enough values to unpack (expected 4, got 1)
It looks like the python file association on windows is messed up causing script params to not be passed in correctly. Few different options I can think of any of which would solve the error:

1) Modify file associations in the windows registry:

2) Pass in the script as a parameter, and set "file" to the python interpreter. So, on the 'Configure Run Action', set

File: <path to your python.exe interpreter>
Parameter: "C:\BlueIris\alert_notify.py" "%X %x" "&CAM" "&ALERT_PATH"

3) Create a batch in C:\BlueIris\ called alert_notify.bat with the content of:

C:\BlueIris\alert_notify.py %*

then in 'Configure Run Action' set:

File: C:\BlueIris\alert_notify.bat
Parameter: "%X %x" "&CAM" "&ALERT_PATH"

Fooch

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like the python file association on windows is messed up causing script params to not be passed in correctly. Few different options I can think of any of which would solve the error:

1) Modify file associations in the windows registry:

2) Pass in the script as a parameter, and set "file" to the python interpreter. So, on the 'Configure Run Action', set

File: <path to your python.exe interpreter>
Parameter: "C:\BlueIris\alert_notify.py" "%X %x" "&CAM" "&ALERT_PATH"

3) Create a batch in C:\BlueIris\ called alert_notify.bat with the content of:

C:\BlueIris\alert_notify.py %*

then in 'Configure Run Action' set:

File: C:\BlueIris\alert_notify.bat
Parameter: "%X %x" "&CAM" "&ALERT_PATH"
Thanks very much! I used option #2 and working great now.

nashaw02

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm very interested in getting this script to work... but I can't. I followed the instructions on github and #1, 2, and 3 for the potential python issues, but nothing seems to happen when I trigger the camera. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

nashaw02

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm very interested in getting this script to work... but I can't. I followed the instructions on github and #1, 2, and 3 for the potential python issues, but nothing seems to happen when I trigger the camera. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!
Got it! I ended up installing a different version of python, changing all of the env variables, restarting, and using #2. It seems sort of embarrassing that 1) Windows makes using python so difficult and 2) that it took so much work for me to figure this out. Awesome script!