PZT Problem

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping for some advice on my PTZ camera, which seems to be mmisbehaving.

I have a 8 channel Hikvision DVR and camera 1, is a generic PTZ camera (possibly an annke camera).

Today the DVR lost power (un-planned switch off and on) and now the PTZ does not want to be controlled via the DVR.

The image is fine, it is just the ability to move the camera.

When the power to the PTZ is switched off and on, the PTZ does not go through its initialisation sweep of movements (which it used to do), so it's clearly not happy!

Any ideas on what I can try?

Thanks in advance!

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
model number of ptz ? how is ptz powered ? POE ? some ptz require full 30watts of power to work properly but may work with lesser power sometimes....

maybe take the ptz down and supply it with full 30watts of power from the wall wart (the one that comes in the same box as the camera) and see what happens.

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have the model number to hand and have not been able to take the unit down yet (may get a chance tomorrow).

The camera is this one...

It's been installed and fully functional, with no issues since Jan 2018 (this includes the odd power cut).

It is powered via a bespoke power cable (not POE), and around 5 cams are all powered from the same multifeed adaptor (to save on sockets).

Aa mentioned, no issues until the power got turned off by accident yesterday.

Your comments re power have stimulated one idea. I guess I should try powering the ptz from its own adaptor/socket to see if that makes any difference. Not sure it will, but just in case.

I guess then when I get a ladder out I can power it direct as you say (but via an extension cord - instead of removing from the wall) and see if that helps.

Thanks

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
could be power supply..

i have simlar problems when trying to share power with ptz and other cameras.. the initialise sequence demands alot of power and causing some issues however once it has done the dance, everything is ok..

another issue to watch out is sometimes night time IR also gives the same problem.. u will be surprised at how much power the IR lights consume!

this camera from amazon specs is 12v / 1amp.
how about the other 4 cameras?
also what is the max out put of the mutifeed adaptor..?

maybe you can unplug the all the other cameras from power supply first.. plug in the ptz first and let it do it's power up sequence and then slowly plug in the other 4 one by one.

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
could be power supply..

i have simlar problems when trying to share power with ptz and other cameras.. the initialise sequence demands alot of power and causing some issues however once it has done the dance, everything is ok..

another issue to watch out is sometimes night time IR also gives the same problem.. u will be surprised at how much power the IR lights consume!

this camera from amazon specs is 12v / 1amp.
how about the other 4 cameras?
also what is the max out put of the mutifeed adaptor..?

maybe you can unplug the all the other cameras from power supply first.. plug in the ptz first and let it do it's power up sequence and then slowly plug in the other 4 one by one.
Thanks. Will have a play with the power feeds later today and see what happens.

The original issue occurred during daylight hours, so I did not think it was an IR issue. But the camera does start off monochrome before moving to full colour, so maybe it does cycle through IR on start up.

The rest of the cameras on the system are Hikvision bullets type HD cams of a similar vintage (2018).

Thanks for the replies, at least I have some new ideas to try!

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I gave the camera it's own dedicated power supply, I tried 12v at 1Amps, 12v at 2Amps and even one leg of a mutlifeed adaptor that offers 12v at 5Amps.. Still no joy.

Looked at the camera settings and they do not seem to have changed...

20210508_164329.jpg

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried a few more power combinations, but still no joy.

Is a power cut (and presumably a power surge) likely to fritz the motion on a camera like this, leaving the video intact?

Or is it likely to be a software issue?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I would say most likely software. I have had this happen with cameras that were not the same brand as my NVR, but after awhile they started working as they should.

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So any ideas what I might try to diagnose a software issue? Thanks

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
I would say most likely software. I have had this happen with cameras that were not the same brand as my NVR, but after awhile they started working as they should.
Thanks for the reply. So any ideas what I might try to diagnose a software issue? Thanks

Phillh

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tried re-setting the IP cam. On mine I have a re-set button on a short lead on the camera, Just press it and it will do a factory reset.
You might have to re-program it but at least it will hopefully be working.

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. No not had a chance yet to get the ladders out to go up and look at the camera. Mostly been tweaking the settings hoping for a fix.

From memory the camera only had a power and bnc line. I don't recall any reset button. But will look.

The amazon product details don't really help either..

Phillh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. No not had a chance yet to get the ladders out to go up and look at the camera. Mostly been tweaking the settings hoping for a fix.

From memory the camera only had a power and bnc line. I don't recall any reset button. But will look.

The amazon product details don't really help either..

On mine I have 3 short leads, one is a lead about 8" long with a ethernet socket, another with a 12dc power socket and a third with a reset button. If you look at it is not obvious its a button, there is a cap on it, flick the cap and there's the button, just press it for 5/6 seconds and it should reset the camera to factory settings. When I first put mine in I had no audio and humanoid detection. Pressed the reset button and I now have sound and detection.
Fingers crossed. Check it before you try changing more settings, you will end up having to factory reset everything!!

Phillh

n3wb
Reaction score
On mine I have 3 short leads, one is a lead about 8" long with a ethernet socket, another with a 12dc power socket and a third with a reset button. If you look at it is not obvious its a button, there is a cap on it, flick the cap and there's the button, just press it for 5/6 seconds and it should reset the camera to factory settings. When I first put mine in I had no audio and humanoid detection. Pressed the reset button and I now have sound and detection.
Fingers crossed. Check it before you try changing more settings, you will end up having to factory reset everything!!
If you have your hand book see page 27 - Reset
Hope this helps.
Phil

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I gave the camera it's own dedicated power supply, I tried 12v at 1Amps, 12v at 2Amps and even one leg of a mutlifeed adaptor that offers 12v at 5Amps.. Still no joy.

Looked at the camera settings and they do not seem to have changed...

View attachment 89128
Ensure your RS485 settings are matched between the DVR & camera. The camera manual from the amazon link you provided is attached - check dip switches.

Attachments

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Will get the ladder out at the weekend and have a look for the reset switch check the dip switches. I did try all combinations of PELCO and baud rate at the router end with no joy. But that is operating somewhat blind!

Will report back.

Many thanks for the ideas!

Womble

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, finally got up the ladder. As expected I could not find a reset switch for the camera. It only seems to have leads for power, video and ptz control.

So as a last resort I gave the glass dome a gentle twist. After doing that the camera started moving on its own, and full ptz control was restored!

Not a solution i would have expected, given the problem occurred following a sudden loss of power. But there you go!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool deal! Sometimes they just get stuck and need a little nudge. Glad you got it operational again.

Same with IR filters that get stuck - sometimes a good hard hit to the camera gets it going again LOL.

Last edited: