Question about ignoring a car/plate in OpenALPR

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So with the angle I have my camera, I am able to catch incoming vehicles and their plate pretty decent. One thing I have noticed though is that my diagonal neighbor's car that is in their garage, is repeatedly caught/recorded on OpenALPR when their garage door is open because the camera can see it. I am using a 5231-z12 and zoomed at 85%, so I don't really want to zoom in more to cancel it out.

Would a mask or zone help this? Or is there an easy way to ignore the car? It is literally in the top left corner, hardly visible. It also doesn't seem to trigger unless another vehicle drives through.
741693727.jpg

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Should be easy enough to try a mask...
For sure.. just not home at the moment. I had the wife send me that photo while I was thinking about it. I am going to try when I get home, just wanted to get thoughts prior. Appreciate the info!

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had the same issue, and oddly setting a mask in OpenALPR didn't fix it, it would still catch that plate. I have the same camera as yours, and what fixed it for me was "privacy masking", which puts a little black square over the area.

It's a bit buried:

Camera -> Video -> Overlay -> Privacy Masking -> check "enabled". Then draw a shape over their plate.

Annoyingly it works much better in Internet Explorer.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good deal. i will add that shortly. Thanks for the quick responses and help.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an FYI, the privacy masking worked fine. However, I looked in the OpenALPR agent config and there is a section to mark exclusions. I did this and it works flawlessly as well.

This is in: Configure > Detection Mask -- Then draw exclusions.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you save? I know that seems obvious but I missed the button at first haha.

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I must have, because I went back and expanded the exclusion area the next day after it didn't work. I eventually just put a chair in front of my neighbor's plate, ha.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I find the masks in OpenALPR for me, are not reliable when I set them through the watchman client.

I find they only work when I set them through the OpenALPR website.