Question about newer Dahua camera's

brian89gp

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a few IPC-HFW4421E and IPC-HDW4421M installed that I have been quite happy with, they replaced some old 4300s v2 that worked but was never really happy with. The 4421 have 3.6mm lense and mounted 15-20' off the ground so they are wide angle but do give pretty good quality for an overall shot. They are decent at night, but not nearly good enough to leave them in color mode and have usable recordings. I am looking to fill in some starlight camera's for a more zoomed and higher quality and hopefully in color night recording.

The IPC-HDW5231R-Z looks interesting. How does this compare picture quality wise to the 4421? The reviews here are very positive and I can't argue with the price. The IPC-HFW8232E-Z is viable but I was ideally looking for an inbuilt mic.....but the picture quality looks amazing.

I am also looking for a camera to do only LPR. Point of focus is just short of 50m away. I have no need for a PTZ but it appears that until the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 is available that the SD49225T-HN is probably the best option? I have no need for the PTZ other then there is no need to aim it on installation. The SDZW2030S-N would also work but the cost is a lot higher. Thoughts and opinions?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a few IPC-HFW4421E and IPC-HDW4421M installed that I have been quite happy with, they replaced some old 4300s v2 that worked but was never really happy with. The 4421 have 3.6mm lense and mounted 15-20' off the ground so they are wide angle but do give pretty good quality for an overall shot. They are decent at night, but not nearly good enough to leave them in color mode and have usable recordings. I am looking to fill in some starlight camera's for a more zoomed and higher quality and hopefully in color night recording.

The IPC-HDW5231R-Z looks interesting. How does this compare picture quality wise to the 4421? The reviews here are very positive and I can't argue with the price. The IPC-HFW8232E-Z is viable but I was ideally looking for an inbuilt mic.....but the picture quality looks amazing.

I am also looking for a camera to do only LPR. Point of focus is just short of 50m away. I have no need for a PTZ but it appears that until the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 is available that the SD49225T-HN is probably the best option? I have no need for the PTZ other then there is no need to aim it on installation. The SDZW2030S-N would also work but the cost is a lot higher. Thoughts and opinions?
Who doesn't "need" a ptz, heh heh.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how that stacks up with the Starlight series in low-light conditions. :)

Here is a model comparable to the 4421

2MP Starlight (5231R-Z)

There is a 35mm 4MP Dahua Varifocal for ~$210 that I'll be reviewing for LPR use here shortly..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 4MP 35mm Varifocal will stack up exactly the same; its got nothing more going for it than its good for license plates, which is a very high lux environment.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4MP 35mm Varifocal will stack up exactly the same; its got nothing more going for it than its good for license plates, which is a very high lux environment.
are you getting a 4mp or 2mp 35mm? I forgot.