Question about this type of mount

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Honestly it just looks like a custom job where they used basic materials. The two brackets are off the shelf camera mounts. The 2-3" inch pole is standard fair with three pieces of metal tach welded on.

I'm pretty sure you could make one a lot cheaper than what that thing costs assuming its a commercial build.

The benefit is you can make it a small / large / cheap / expansive as you want. :thumb:

Regardless, who ever made that mount made it to last and not move . . . :headbang:

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with Teken. It would be easy enough to make out of aluminum plate and tubing. I made a mount for my future PTZ using aluminun plate and square tubing in this case.

View attachment 84463
I just have to ask is the final mounting point truly 20~30' off axis?!? :thumbdown: :wtf: :rofl:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I just have to ask is the final mounting point truly 20~30' off axis?!? :thumbdown: :wtf: :rofl:
21 degrees to be exact according to my handy dandy protractor. :):):) Here is a picture of where it will be mounted on my roof. Going with a 4K PTZ with a minimum of a 1/1.2" sensor. The camera in the picture is 2MP with a 1/2.8" sensor. Time has passed it by. ;)

Camera 6B PTZ.JPG

Last edited:

sonicc

n3wb
Reaction score
Honestly it just looks like a custom job where they used basic materials. The two brackets are off the shelf camera mounts. The 2-3" inch pole is standard fair with three pieces of metal tach welded on.

I'm pretty sure you could make one a lot cheaper than what that thing costs assuming its a commercial build.

The benefit is you can make it a small / large / cheap / expansive as you want. :thumb:

Regardless, who ever made that mount made it to last and not move . . . :headbang:
LOL yeah, they're beefy. I've been trying to find something close to these for a while but without much luck. Got a couple of Axis P5415 cameras that need to go up on a building and need something sturdy.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL yeah, they're beefy. I've been trying to find something close to these for a while but without much luck. Got a couple of Axis P5415 cameras that need to go up on a building and need something sturdy.
I’m willing to bet if you have a friend that can weld. For a six pack you could assemble the same for much less which also meets your needs and budget.

One thing I’d suggest is using sliding poles with screw down / pin holes set to whatever spacing say 2-4” to achieve that perfect height. Using three screw downs allows infinite adjustment and less labor to drill out holes.

The dollar store sells several bubble levels in 1-4 packs. I glued and screwed them down to the vertical & horizontal planes of importance. So when on site in unfamiliar territory and terrain there was no eye balling or having to walk back and forth to confirm proper orientation.

Nothing is worse than to see a pole slanted with a giant PTZ ball!

If this is intended for long term use regardless of the material being used. Apply all weather paint on metal parts along with anti-seize to all fasteners.

Proper Earth grounding is paramount for the camera and frame to the buildings electrical single point ground. A SPD should be installed at the camera and power supply to bolster the ground protection.

If it’s possible I’d be running fibre for data so you only need to worry about surge / lightning for power.

Also if this roof mount is going to exceed six feet consider guide wires, isolation pads, and sand.

Love to hear what comes out of all this once your done.

sonicc

n3wb
Reaction score
I can put down acceptable welds, but I'd prefer not to fabricate this myself because it is for a commercial application.

Good call on grounding, I'll need to take care of that.