Question about upgrading to Version 5

Weather_Junkie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm on 4.8.6.3 and everything is running fine but I'm assuming that means I'm not on version 5 and won't be until I renew/upgrade. So, do I have to purchase at full price to jump to v5 or will the "Extended Service" @ $29.95 get me there? Ty

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm on 4.8.6.3 and everything is running fine but I'm assuming that means I'm not on version 5 and won't be until I renew/upgrade. So, do I have to purchase at full price to jump to v5 or will the "Extended Service" @ $29.95 get me there? Ty
See here: Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide
Search is your friend.

wayner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am confused about purchasing the BI software vs purchasing support. I am running V4 and my support expired in 2018. It tells me this in V4.

But I don't care about support which appears to be $29.95 per year. Buying the software appears to be $69.95. But I bought V4, do I have to buy V5? Or can I install V5 and use my V4 license key and be a licensed user without support?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am confused about purchasing the BI software vs purchasing support. I am running V4 and my support expired in 2018. It tells me this in V4.

But I don't care about support which appears to be $29.95 per year. Buying the software appears to be $69.95. But I bought V4, do I have to buy V5? Or can I install V5 and use my V4 license key and be a licensed user without support?
See the link i shared above in post #2.

wayner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you mean this:
Step 1) Support License

Check in Blue Iris Options > About to see if you are eligible for Blue Iris 5. If not, you will need to purchase and apply an extended support licensefor $29.95 USD or a priority support license for $59.95.

Once Blue Iris 4 shows that you are eligible for Blue Iris 5, you can proceed to step 2.
I saw that, but does that mean support is necessary? I was running BI without support on V4 and I don't want to pay an ongoing annual fee for support unless that is my only option. Is it? That is not clear.

erensfd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you mean this:

I saw that, but does that mean support is necessary? I was running BI without support on V4 and I don't want to pay an ongoing annual fee for support unless that is my only option. Is it? That is not clear.
If your support has license has expired with your current v4, you can extend it for $29.95 first and then upgrade to v5 for free. That would keep your license number the same (you just add a support license to it). Your other option is to pay $59.95 for a new v5 license that comes with a support license, but there's no point of doing that as far as I can tell. I hope that helps.

wayner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @erensfd. So if I extend and upgrade then it appears that when my support ends in a year I can continue to run V5 of BI without an ongoing payment, correct??

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @erensfd. So if I extend and upgrade then it appears that when my support ends in a year I can continue to run V5 of BI without an ongoing payment, correct??
That's correct, but IMHO the developer deserves the $30 per year for the amount of work he does on BI on a continuous basis.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can continue to run V5 after your support ends, but you won't get any updates for it, correct?