Question for the cable termination gurus here

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just for the hell of it log in to your modem and check out the stats. Look at all the line stat numbers and look at the errors and code violations. Then reset it and keep an eye on it. If you need I can tell you how good or bad the link between your modem and the local dslam is. Then you can kind of determine if it is a line issue or a transport issue. Heck I could even run a test on it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how to interpret any of these numbers, but here they are. Everything has been working for a few days now. I reset the stats, and see no errors accumulating. I'll check it again in the morning.

20201015_211653.jpg

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure how to interpret any of these numbers, but here they are. Everything has been working for a few days now. I reset the stats, and see no errors accumulating. I'll check it again in the morning.

View attachment 72665
You are taking a crap load of errors for your upstream. That is usually a good indication of some issue closer to you then the office. Your noise margin and attention are all both above the threshold. Your max attainable and actual bit rate are to close together meaning you probably are set up on a profile that your loop can’t support. Looking at these numbers I assume you are actually on IPdsl which replaced the legacy dsl. Either way your link is not optimal and you have issues somewhere. Meaning it appears you have some line issues between you and the dslam and or possibly profile issues.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Feel free to pm me. This is the stuff I work on in the southwest region. I can give you some pointers on what to look for at your house that could be causing issues.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You are taking a crap load of errors for your upstream. That is usually a good indication of some issue closer to you then the office. Your noise margin and attention are all both above the threshold. Your max attainable and actual bit rate are to close together meaning you probably are set up on a profile that your loop can’t support. Looking at these numbers I assume you are actually on IPdsl which replaced the legacy dsl. Either way your link is not optimal and you have issues somewhere. Meaning it appears you have some line issues between you and the dslam and or possibly profile issues.

Thanks for helping. One of the techs that came out actually said something similar in regards to my max speed. I'm on a 18down/1up plan, but I only reach speeds around 12-15 down/1 up. He said the line errors might go away if I dropped my package to 12down/.7up. I'm reluctant to do that because I don't want to kill my already slower speeds. I can live with speeds I have now, but going even slower might not work for us.

Also, where is the dslam usually? In the central office or out on an easement somewhere?

I'm going to replace the line and jack in my house anyway. Its easy to do, and will be one thing to cross off the list of possible causes. They have not been inside my house yet for testing. I'd feel like a doofus if it ends up being a bad wire or connection point on my end.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for helping. One of the techs that came out actually said something similar in regards to my max speed. I'm on a 18down/1up plan, but I only reach speeds around 12-15 down/1 up. He said the line errors might go away if I dropped my package to 12down/.7up. I'm reluctant to do that because I don't want to kill my already slower speeds. I can live with speeds I have now, but going even slower might not work for us.

Also, where is the dslam usually? In the central office or out on an easement somewhere?

I'm going to replace the line and jack in my house anyway. Its easy to do, and will be one thing to cross off the list of possible causes. They have not been inside my house yet for testing. I'd feel like a doofus if it ends up being a bad wire or connection point on my end.
Man I work on these every day. What you have is uverse ipdsl. You are screwing yourself if you try to stay on a profile your loop can’t support.

Your dslam could either be at the central office or it could be at a remote irad. For an 18 meg profile the max loop length/resistance for 26ga cable is 4800’/400ohm for co base and 4100’/340ohm for rt based. The thicker the gauge the little further it will go.

If the copper is clean then I would wager that your loop is actually on the outer limits of a 12meg service profile. If it is I wouldn’t have even asked you if you want to downgrade to 12 meg or not I just would have done it. You say that you run 12-15 when it works. There is a really good chance that lower profile would make it stable and work all the time. And depending on where that profile is adjusted to you would see a throughput of 11.5-13.5 of consistent service, better pings, no more errors, way less packet drop if any.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Man I work on these every day. What you have is uverse ipdsl. You are screwing yourself if you try to stay on a profile your loop can’t support.

Your dslam could either be at the central office or it could be at a remote irad. For an 18 meg profile the max loop length/resistance for 26ga cable is 4800’/400ohm for co base and 4100’/340ohm for rt based. The thicker the gauge the little further it will go.

If the copper is clean then I would wager that your loop is actually on the outer limits of a 12meg service profile. If it is I wouldn’t have even asked you if you want to downgrade to 12 meg or not I just would have done it. You say that you run 12-15 when it works. There is a really good chance that lower profile would make it stable and work all the time. And depending on where that profile is adjusted to you would see a throughput of 11.5-13.5 of consistent service, better pings, no more errors, way less packet drop if any.

It makes sense what you are saying, but why has it been working great for years trouble free with the same package, internet usage, and only in the last few months acting up? I was hoping they would find some line issues, looseness, corrosion. They sent a line tech out first time, but apparantly he couldn't get into the CO to test so it was not performed (that's what the recent tech told me was in the notes). Then he requested another line tech, but I'm not confident they ever came out either. Never heard anything.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It makes sense what you are saying, but why has it been working great for years trouble free with the same package, internet usage, and only in the last few months acting up? I was hoping they would find some line issues, looseness, corrosion. They sent a line tech out first time, but apparantly he couldn't get into the CO to test so it was not performed (that's what the recent tech told me was in the notes). Then he requested another line tech, but I'm not confident they ever came out either. Never heard anything.
Ok so i can’t comment on the techs or what they have or haven’t done and I don’t know the condition of the plant. But I can answer your question. It could be corrosion on the binding post, it could be a connector isn’t making good contact. It could also be a bonding and grounding issue and some locator left bonds off and you are now getting power influence. Could be many things.

It could also be that you don’t have any line issues and there have been more people in your area that have all gotten service since the pandemic. So let’s say hardly anyone in the cable that feeds your house had up until now and now a lot of people have it. Even though everyone has their own set of conductors and their own circuit that can cause issues. And the issue stems from trying to push all these services beyond what they are are designed, ie running a profile further then what the loop will support.

Now you ask how can that cause problems with one another. Think of it like this. You are in a big room or gymnasium and you and one other person are having a conversation. The further apart you and that other person are the louder you both have to talk to understand each other. Then start adding more people to that gymnasiums having their own conversations at different distance. Eventually know one will be able to understand anything.

Basically when you push a profile beyond what it’s designed it has to turn the power up or volume so to speak. That starts affecting other services in the same cable. So they then compensate by turning the volume up. The local techs should be setting everyone’s service to an appropriate profile when they get dispatched on them. If they don’t eventually it all causes problems for multiple people like when everyone starts working from home and doing virtual school due to the pandemic.