Question for those of you who Livestream!!

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I've been trying for the past couple of days to setup a livestream that will run 24/7 on youtube of my town. In short I'm looking for advise on how those of you who run a livestream have it setup, as I am currently lost. I must be doing something wrong as youtube keeps showing warning errors regarding bitrate, and videos are very pixelated, freeze constantly. Unsure if this is related to Blue Iris or or something else, blue iris is running at about 37% but I am recording continuously, (which will probably stop doing).
Anywho I know I'm probably doing something wrong here, and will truly appreciate anyone that could give advice.
I have read and setup Blue Iris/PC as per the performance recommendation found on this site:
Have tried at resolutions of 2K, 1080 and 4K, same result in all. Here is an example of todays run at 2K:

Questions I have:
  • What's you guy's setup look like, streaming from blue iris as source?
  • Streaming directly from IP camera GUI, via RTMP?
  • Using some sort of software/hardware encoder such as OBS, other, etc.
  • How can I improve stream rate?
  • Looking for advise/recommendations on how to improve/remediate the issue (I really wish I could share livestream with you all in 4K, this camera is amazing).
  • Also looking for audio settings/recommendations, anyone know where the audio input/microphone is on this camera as all im getting is nothing but static, I do however have all the extra wires that come with the camera currently taped up, as I'm awaiting delivery of a waterproof box, I wonder if I taped the actual microphone.

My Hardware setup:
IP Camera:
SD8A845QA-HNF SD8A845QA-HNF (exceptional camera, got it from Andy)
Blue Iris PC: running on a Dell Optiplex 7060 SFF Desktop i7-8700 3.20GHz 16GM RAM on a 6TB HDD Optical (Surveillance type) no other cameras running here.

Internet Hardware/internet speeds: (no other devices running on this network)
Router Asus AX 1800 RT-AX55 with OpenVPN setup
Download: 520-600mb/s
Upload: ~30mb/s

Encoder :H.264 video and AAC audio

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try bit rate type of CBR, bit rate to 4096, FPS of 10, frame interval of 10.

If it improves, raise FPS to 15 and frame interval to 15.

Insure BI is recording just the substream.

Last edited:

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have never had much luck using BlueIris for streaming RTMP video to Youtube. I use a raspberry pi and FFMPEG. You can also try the built in RTMP encoder in the camera. Here is a link to a webpage that spells out the YouTube requirements for video resolutions and bit rates. Choose live encoder settings, bitrates, and resolutions - YouTube Help

I have the same camera you are using that is streaming to YouTube at 4K. It has been running for a few years. Here is a link. OPS Live! 1 - Lincoln, NE Weathercam Livestream

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try bit rate type of CBR, bit rate to 4096, FPS of 10, frame interval of 10.

If it improves, raise FPS to 15 and frame interval to 15.

Insure BI is recording just the substream.
Thank you for your response! Already starting to get better results.

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have never had much luck using BlueIris for streaming RTMP video to Youtube. I use a raspberry pi and FFMPEG. You can also try the built in RTMP encoder in the camera. Here is a link to a webpage that spells out the YouTube requirements for video resolutions and bit rates. Choose live encoder settings, bitrates, and resolutions - YouTube Help

I have the same camera you are using that is streaming to YouTube at 4K. It has been running for a few years. Here is a link. OPS Live! 1 - Lincoln, NE Weathercam Livestream
Thanks for the reply, and great feeds, if you don't mind me asking, what's your audio sampling frequency setup to?
Also, I imagine you are broadcasting at 15FPS what bitrate?

Thank you!

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The audio on the weather cam comes from the national weather service web page. So, the audio source sample rate are set in my FFMPEG script at 128k. The frame rate is set at 24fps at 4K resolution.

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback/configuration, stream has been steady for the past 5 days or so (currently in private mode, while I finish setup, etc)
Streaming in 4k, although 1440 works very good with no lag, currently using built RTMP encoder in camera, stay put as it will go live, in a few days.

Thank you, everyone.