question, losing my mind

Reaction score
I had some cheap IP cams in my window and upgraded to some wired IP cams that are wired into a 4 poe netgear switch that stream 24/7. Now, I plugged in my switch in to a eithernet port from a Linksys wifi extender. Looked to me the wifi extender that ran for maybe 2 years gave up after a while in this setup (within days). I ordered a smaller netgear wifi extender and after 9 hrs the cams stopped streaming. I then hardwired the switch to my router across the house and everything is ok again. Am I breaking the wifi extender with all this data stream? What is going on? I don't know if I overheat the wifi extender in this setup? I switched back to my netgear wifi extender and see how long it will stream. Need some advise. Thank you,

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Which extender exactly are you using? The absolute best thing you can do is hardwire the switch. If you can make that happen then it will solve the issues.

Reaction score
Thank you for responding Mike, It's a tiny one, Model EX3700, AC750. I got a cheap one because it's in the garage and it gets hot here, in case I have to get another one. If those last a year I would be good. I guess I have to hard wire.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Many cheap wifi devices which work okay with light traffic may still have trouble with large amounts of traffic. They should not fail permanently from this unless it is extremely hot in your garage.