Question regarding port forwarding for remote WAN viewing of Hikvision 2332

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So while I'm waiting on my 2332s to get here, I'd like to go ahead and set up port forwarding on my Apple Airport Extreme router. Can someone help me fill in the blanks? I assume that I'll need to do one for each camera, right? Thanks!

Attachments

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright, here is the deal... I don't recommend you forward each camera to the internet due to known security holes in the camera firmware that allow anyone to get into your feeds, but I can help with the router in the event you still want to do this.

Public and Private UDP Ports = [blank] (these are not needed)
Public and Private TCP Ports = the configured ports you set in the camera settings (Configuration > Basic Configuration > Network > Port > HTTP Port)
Private IP Address = Camera IP Address (Configuration > Basic Configuration > Network > TCP/IP)

The port settings need to be different for each camera and can be ports of your choosing so long as they are not default use for other purposes. I recommend setting up a single camera at a time before trying to get the next one working. Good luck!

Edit: And don't forget to change the usernames and passwords on the cams!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@ruppmeister... really appreciate this info. So given the concern you mentioned, how do you remotely view your camera's live feed or review recorded motion events remotely. Thanks

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I personally use Blue Iris currently to remote access footage and live feeds. Before I was doing the BI thing I was using VPN access to my home network and connecting to cameras as if I was at home on the LAN. The later method I believe is more secure but not always as convenient since I can use any internet connected browser with BI.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @ruppmeister... I plan on trying Sighthound on a Mac. Perhaps it will allow the remote viewing like Blue Iris.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @ruppmeister... I plan on trying Sighthound on a Mac. Perhaps it will allow the remote viewing like Blue Iris.
It does allow for remote viewing, just keep in mind that Sighthound passes your login credentials in plain text to your server. If this is okay with you, Sighthound is some good software.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It does allow for remote viewing, just keep in mind that Sighthound passes your login credentials in plain text to your server. If this is okay with you, Sighthound is some good software.
Yes, I did know that. I asked them and they tell me that HTTPS is coming soon. I think I'm willing to roll the dice but I haven't looked for any other VMS systems that run on Mac OS X.