Questions about using ONVIF inspect on a remote camera not on LAN

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am trying to remotely log into an Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM located an in-law's house. I have full access to the remote network (admin router access, VPN to network, and port forwarding to camera) but am unable to get the ONVIF feature of BI to work properly.

Ultimately, my intent is to have a minimal number of ports to the camera open so my BI system can access and record the RTSP stream - utilizing both the main and sub-streams. To that end, with 554 and 80 forwarded, my BI is able to log into, view and record the remote Amcrest camera. But entering anything into the parm paths to specify a main/sub stream breaks the ability to connect.

However, upon using the ONVIF inspect button, I get "Bad response"

Code:
Opening sxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx port 8882...
HTTP Get / request...
OK
ONVIF GetSystemDateAndTime
2021-02-21T04:29:29.000Z
Requesting device information...
Bad response
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/imaging_service
Has media services: /onvif/media_service
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
Has Event services: /onvif/event_service
Has WSPullPointSupport
RelayOutputs: 0
InputConnectors: 0
Has Device IO services: /onvif/deviceIO_service
AudioOutputs: 0
Checking for common cameras...
Foscam FI86xx/98xx compatible?
Foscam FI89xx compatible?
Foscam FI9821 V2 compatible?
Foscam FI9821 media port compatible?
Cantonk port 34567?
RTSP port open?
RTSP port detected!
Done
I have provided port forwards for the http port (8882->80), RTSP port (554), and set the ONVIF port to 8882. I've tried this with all but port 80. In each case, the ONVIF dialog shows the same.

It appears to connect and query the camera properly, but something is awry. If I clone an identical LAN-based camera and use the IP/ports of the remote one, it fails to connect entirely - unless I remove the main and substream parms.

Are there any additional ports that need to be opened for ONVIF inspection to be completed, or for a properly ONVIF-configured camera to work from a remote location?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I discovered the issue, and will leave this thread up for anyone else that may experience a similar problem. After disabling the ONVIF authentication within the camera gui (settings/network/connection/onvif tab/disable) I'm now able to use the ONVIF inspection and the resulting main/sub streams from a remote camera. However, as soon as I enable the ONVIF authentication, the connection drops.

I'm not sure what the implication is of having ONVIF authentication disable, while providing port forwarding to the HTTP and ONVIF ports, but it appears to be the only way to make this work.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
After doing some more research, I'm not at all comfortable with keeping the ONVIF authentication disabled. Especially since the camera is exposed via port forwarding, explicitly on port 80 - which is what ONVIF uses.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See the other thread you started - you need to have the account user and password in the ONVIF credentials page on the camera as well.