Questions about VMS Software

Reaction score
First off, thanks for reading. I hope you have somne insight that will help me understand some of the programs I am having trouble with.

Ok, now to get into it. The first program I am having trouble with is the Streaming Media Server. What does it do? From what I understand it is supposed to help alleviate some of the network load and allow more people to access iVMS to view the streams. I was using this guide to try and find some more information on the topic:

http://www.dipolnet.com/network_applications_for_security_systems_and_remote_monitoring_ivms4000_nvr_server_stream_media_server_-_powerful_and_free_bib310.htm

That link says it can work together with both the PCNVR and iVMS4200 but when I am going through the settings on the most recent release of PCNVR(1.3) and I dont see anywhere to point to the Streaming Media Server and allow more connections. All of this is to the end goal of simply recording to a hard drive thats currently attached to the computer locally, and have the ability to view the camera feeds remotely from another office. Is the Stream Media Server something I should be looking into to achieve this goal?

The second piece set of software that I need more information on is iVMS 4200(2.3) cooperating with the Storage Server compared to just using the PCNVR to accomplish the same goal. What are the benefits to using iVMS4200(2.3) compared to using PCNVR. From what I have gathered so far, I am able to add the PCNVR on iVMS4500(the mobile app) and have all the cameras in one place. If I try to use the iVMS4500 to add cameras on the iVMS4200 I cant add the Stream Media Server, or the Client itself on what I believe to be the default port(8000). Am I supposed to be able to add all the cameras with 1 IP when using iVMS4500 combined with iVMS4200(2.3)

Another question I have thats similar to the second one is adding cameras between clients. We have 2 offices in questions. One of them has the cameras locally attached to it, on the same network and iVMS(2.3) with all the cameras attached to it(about 15 cameras). The other office has a computer in it that has iVMS(2.3) that wants to add all 15 of those cameras using just 1 IP. I have tried adding the Stream Media Server and also tried adding the iVMS client using the same default port mentioned above(8000) but no matter what I try I cant enter 1 IP to get all the cameras on the machine not locally connected to the cameras. Is there any way to be using iVMS4200(2.3) on two different machines and add all the cameras using 1 IP?

The last thing thats been bothering me and I havent been able to setup correctly is the ability for the PCNVR to record to a hard drive attached to it. Every few days I am getting an Exception error in the disc management screen. Has anyone else had this happen to them before? I dont want to come to a situation where I need these recordings and I am not able to pull them up!!

Ok, to review:

1) What relationship do the Stream Media Server and the PCNVR have? Can I use them together?
2a) Am I supposed to be able to add all the cameras with 1 IP when using iVMS4500 combined with iVMS4200(2.3)
2b) Is there any way to be using iVMS4200(2.3) on two different machines and add all the cameras using 1 IP?
3) PCNVR Hard Drive Exception Error!

Last edited by a moderator:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Lets focus on one location at a time. The first place where you are trying to view cameras from, is there a HikVision NVR there that is networked to be viewed remotely? If so, you need to add this device, through the menu of the iVMS client, by using the external IP address of the NVR and the port that it is configured for. Once the device is added, iVMS will show you all of the cameras that are configured to the NVR.

Reaction score
Lets focus on one location at a time. The first place where you are trying to view cameras from, is there a HikVision NVR there that is networked to be viewed remotely? If so, you need to add this device, through the menu of the iVMS client, by using the external IP address of the NVR and the port that it is configured for. Once the device is added, iVMS will show you all of the cameras that are configured to the NVR.
Thanks for responding, I am trying to view cameras through multiple places. I have one Office setup through the PCNVR(1.3) and I am trying to access the camera through the web portal that is created by the PCNVR. Another way I am trying to access the cameras is through iVMS4200(2.3)'s web portal that it creates when you run the software. I am trying to access both of these cameras at different offices but both on port 80 while nothing else is getting in the way of that(Skype, other messaging programs that want port 80 for themselves)

Neither of these devices are hardware, I am strictly using software on multiple computers to try and make this work.

Reaction score
bumping because I have been trying to fix these issues for going on 2 months now