Quick question & critique on my BI folder arrangement

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that's whats bogging down my machine in the AM. I click on the calendar and then go the test the Hot Tub because it takes like 5 minutes to populate the red ots on the Calendar & pull up 20 days of clips and (possibly) the excessive alert clips. ( i set no Maximum) so thats probably why I have like 459,000 clips & images to process.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow and I thought mine was high LOL. I couldn't figure out how mine was so high because when I had Windows count the number of files in each folder it was no where near that. BI has said after 200,000 clips the system can get "unstable". It used to be a warning in BI4. Mine is down around 15,000 now and has made an improvement.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Speaking of unstable I took a sick day and when I came in today the UI would not come up but it was running as a service. when I did Ctrl/Alt/Del to task manager, BI was doing peaks and valley spikes to 100% Cpu usage. and the CPU temp was warm. I eventually had to pull a SATA drive, reinstall the CD-rom player and run the BI 5 disk, and it made a repair, that didn't quite do it, so last resort. I uninstalled ( Holy Muther of Gawd) and reinstalled and all the folders were there. i left work it was still regenerating the the DB. at 41%...Im going in tomorrow to see how its doing.
Also took the Alerts from the 6TB drive and allocated 130GB to the C drive . yikes.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, with 12 million clips it will take days to regen LOL. And regen means no recording during that time.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
my new system is at 310,000 clips of 9TB available, only 6.3TB are used. I have 14 days of data. Starting to take awhile to fill out the calendar. It's better than the other machine now that I am using the C:\ drive (ssd) for the Alerts limiting to like 30 GB. I'm thinking maybe I should limit clip age? rather than fill the drives with 500,000 clips? I capture 100 clips just on the front parking lot easily per day. add 100 residents passing in front of 13 camera's and you have a lot of triggers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Flintstone61 - 30GB for alert images is a lot - but yeah I would say see how long you usually get for storage and maybe limit to that so that it doesn't get crazy. BI has said in the past that it can get unstable over 200,000 clips.