Raccoon Oooppsss

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You guy get raccoons, over here in the uk we get feisty foxes who will give you a stare down.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
over here, the raccoons will stare you down also. They won't run away, but will saunter away, even if you walk towards them. They'll break into a trot if you pick up pace and run. They're not easily intimidated....

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Had one last year that got into the pool deck through the screen during the day and was downright mean. Charged me and the cats. Opened both doors and tried everything for over an hour to get him to leave, even bonked him on the noggin a few times with a broom handle, unfortunately had to put him down.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
over here, the raccoons will stare you down also. They won't run away, but will saunter away, even if you walk towards them. They'll break into a trot if you pick up pace and run. They're not easily intimidated....
Sometimes the ones here are a little out of shape.

I spooked a pair of them out of a tree next to our back porch and they tried to run away and climb the fence into the neighbor's yard. And I kid you not, you could hear them huffing and puffing, and they struggled to climb the fence, then literally fell off the top to the other side, and you could hear the thuds and grunts as they hit the ground. I was afraid they'd die of a heart attack trying to get over that fence.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
even bonked him on the noggin a few times with a broom handle
That's a mean 'coon, and more aggressive than typical. Either the coon felt trapped/cornered, or was rapid....

unfortunately had to put him down.
I assume you shot the 'coon?
- Did that leave a hole in your pool deck?
- is it legal to discharge your weapon in your city/town? Maybe you have "Stand your Ground" laws, and if the masked intruder charged you and your loved ones (the cats I mean), you can use lethal force?
(said with tongue firmly in cheek, lol)

From a quick Google check, for my state: “It is against Washington state law to trap, move or relocate raccoons"

Around Seattle, shoot a coyote? Gray area...

Google sez: "Although state law allows individuals to trap or shoot nuisance coyotes, the reality of that option is complicated in urban areas, where coyotes have made themselves at home. ... If it is harming pets, damaging property or lurking uncomfortably close to people, state law allows people to kill the coyote themselves."

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah he was a mean one alright, forced to invoke Stand Your Ground. He was parked literally 3 ft from an open door but preferred to growl, show his teeth and kept crowding me when I'd walk away. Never had one that aggressive before.

Gamo Swarm .22 air rifle.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah he was a mean one alright, forced to invoke Stand Your Ground. He was parked literally 3 ft from an open door but preferred to growl, show his teeth and kept crowding me when I'd walk away. Never had one that aggressive before.

Gamo Swarm .22 air rifle.
The reasonably quiet option! ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks
That’s actually an HDCVI version of the 5231IP turret - 1/30 exposure and SmartIR

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Did the container actually land on the raccoon?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah it was just an empty box with a hole cut in it. He grabbed the hole and leaned backwards and wummph!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Take that you silly racoon! Now, stop sifting through my garbage, lol. Almost received a fine when the garbage trucks were doing their rounds and spotted a bag that was torn apart. It wasn't my garbage, but apparently someone else's several blocks away. Talk about the power of the wind :lol: