Raspberry pi - motion with audio

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have a special project in a museum where they want audio to play when people walk by certain exhibits. Found some projects online with raspberry pi but I suck at linux. Any Windows based options? Price isn't really an issue. They were entertaining a bid from another company that was pretty high with some crazy stuff like viking electronics paging system..

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thought I would get Nayr to respond at least :)

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can find the sensor that would work, doing this should not be a problem. You can use a pressure sensitive matt, light beam or pir motion sensors. Then get a camera with alarm inputs and attach that to the camera. Then create an event so that when motion is detected, play an audio clip. I know for sure Axis cameras do this as I set it up once to play a warning message when motion was detected.

You can do it with Rapsberry PI, get a sensor. but like you said, would require Linux experience. No Linux experience required with Arduino, but you would have to be well versed in C++ programming. You can also consider hiring a geek online as there are places where you can post your project and geeks throughout the world like Kentucky bid on it for reasonable prices.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why are you from kentucky? Lol

I'll look at it. I did find a adafruit sound fx board that requires no programming that looks cool

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not from Kentucky but with the low cost of living there, there's got to be people doing work cheaper than someone say from Silicon Valley. That board sounds like it will do what you want, just need to put get a normal open NO alarm sensor and attach it. If the area is carpeted, I would get a pressure mat sensor. My only concern is what happens on multiple triggers, or in the example they provide, what happens if someone presses the button more than once. Does it play to completion or does it interrupt and start again. If it's the latter, it may not work as it will keep restarting as someone moves around. It should have some sort of delay where it plays to completion and has a wait time before restarting, maybe 5 seconds or so that way it sounds like it's restarting, not just continuous.