Ready to Upgrade Hello

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey folks. Been lurking for a while filling my head with modern data and planning a new system for the house. I'm retiring my Win XP system with a Geovision DVR card, 480 tvl cameras, and siamese coax, which was all pretty cutting edge in its day (ip cams just surfacing). It sucks now and is unstable.

Thanks to you fine folks, I'm gathering good info and direction. Scored a new in box Dell 3040 i5-6500 at $250 with warranty for Blue Iris. Wanted a 5040, but not complaining. Andy will be my camera guy for a couple starters soon, and the plan right now is 7-8 starlight cameras and an Axis 6034 PTZ (old and 720p) i got for free. Been playing with auto-tracking and it rocks. This should be simple and I look forward to some megapixel video.

I have to share, in the 10+ years of my crap system, I've had two people arrested, one being my neighbor steeling my mail which was worth 100X the systems cost. Still gives me goose bumps when I think about the discussion with the detectives. The second was a guy who stole a kids bike in the neighborhood. Couldn't see his face, but his cloths gave him away.

Thanks to everyone. I hope to be a contributor to repay what I've learned.

HoosierD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Didnt know where elso to post, so doing it here. Thanks everyone! New system up and running for a week or so now thanks to the info here, Andy, eBay, and Google. The hardest part so far was figuring out how to tunnel two switches to combine vLANs across the entire network. My house is more secure, and I really dig Blue Iris. I have one more camera to figure out where running wires will mean crawling through blown in insulation (yes I have rods), and its summer! I'm just going to wait.

Now on to VPN server setup in my router. Hopefully that goes well. Doesnt look too hard since I'm running Tomato and there is a lot of guidance out there.

BTW today was the first footage review to figure out what dog took a leak on the patio carpet. FYI, the answer was both LOL! Buttheads are scared of the spriklers and they are labs!