Realistically how many cameras could I run on this computer with Blue Iris?

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I told you I wanted to run 10 cameras - probably 5 outside and 5 inside. The 5 inside might all be top-201. No idea what the outside ones would be yet. Would that scare you? Just trying to get a ball park.

Not sure what I would do for data storage yet. I might write it to my NAS or I might drop it into a cloud storage solution.

Thanks a lot in advance for your opinion.

Attachments

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm monitoring 18 local cameras in BI along with another 10 remote cameras. All are set for motion recordings and record to a 2TB HD. Haven't had any problems with BI handling this many cameras. BI is fantastic! CPU usage peaks at about 60% with BI open on the desktop. This is my main PC and is not dedicated to BI.

Processor: i7-3770
RAM: 24GB (about 9GB in use with multiple programs open including BI)
O.S: Windows 7 64-bit
Boot drive: (2) 180GB SSD's in RAID 0 (360GB)
Storage drive: Toshiba 2TB HD

I'm not that familiar with the AMD processors but I would think that yours would probably be able to handle 10 cameras. Will this be a dedicated BI machine?

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
frame rate = ?, compression factor or bit rate? Camera MPixel type? This would help us understand.

thanks

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
frame rate = ?, compression factor or bit rate? Camera MPixel type? This would help us understand.

thanks
Is it bad that I am already stumped? :redface-new:

I really don't know the answers. I am trying to piece together the puzzle learning as I go.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

thanks
Is it bad that I am already stumped? :redface-new:

I really don't know the answers. I am trying to piece together the puzzle learning as I go. Here is what I think:

Frame rate = As low as I can use to still get something usable. I expect it would be in the 10-20 fps range.
Compression = I have not played with compression as part of video storage. If that slowed it down too much, then I would compress it after the fact.
Bit Rate = I honestly don't know what this is nor what affect it has on the recording.
I expect all the cameras would be 2 or 3 MP. I might invest in 1 better camera to capture more of my long driveway.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In looking up your processor, it scores a 3731 CPU Mark. I run a late 2012 Mac Mini that scores 3782 CPU Mark. I can tell you, running under 7 MP for 5 cameras, direct-to-disk, and what I can tell are all other suggested settings, I run about 40-55% CPU while the system is not triggering cams. I personally will be looking to get another machine dedicated to BI in the next couple of months as I have no room to expand past my current setup.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
2-3 MP at 20 fps, sounds veryaggressive based on what ruppmeister reported.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK - I recently freed this machine up from other duty and expect it would be 100% dedicated to BI. One of the things I like about running BI and POE is that it largely allows me to offset the investment until I actually install the camera. So I can start with 1 or 2 and keep adding another 1 or 2 until I get to where I want to be or until my machine becomes saturated. I can do this over weeks or months or even longer depending on need and other factors.

I gather that my machine might not be the place where I want to end up, but it might be a great place to start.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys.